• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans cooler brand

87woody

NAXJA Forum User
i would like to know a good trans cooler to run in my 1987 waggoner i have RE 3.5 lift, 31X10.50r15 mickey thompson baja claw tires jeep is great but i am concerned with trans temps

I installed the aux trans cooler from the dealer. It the same cooler the XJ would of come with if the towing package was ordered from the factory. It not the cheapest solution but is the most eligant solution.

To install the dealer aux cooler requires removal of the front bumper. The cooler has brackets which attach for the panel underneath the front bumper. It does not attach to the AC condensor or radiator, so no chance or rubbing a hole in the ac condensor or radiator.

Then there is no hose cutting, you just remove the hose from the lower position on the raditor and attach it to the new installed cooler. The cooler comes with a long hose which goes on the fitting you just removed the hose from.

When I installed mine in 2000 I found my hot rubber hose was seeping through the rubber. I went to my local dealer and purchased the new hard line/rubber line assemblies and installed them. Figured after 12 years that was just smart, I have a 88 XJ Pioneer. Also in the mid 90s chrysler converted the couplings to having metal retainers insead of plastic ones. The parts guys told me how the plastic retainers would fail and ATF would be sprayed EVERYWHERE. No since me learing that lession personally.

For the cooler and the new trans cooler lines I paid $150 plus tax but am sure the price has gone up since the XJ went out of production. You can go cheaper with aftermarket coolers but the hose line routing has been well engineer and in the future any mechanic familiar with XJs will know what you have.

The factory/dealer ATF aux cooler is 3 x 16 x 1 for 48 sq inches of cooler area. If you go aftermarket make sure you get a cooler whose size is at least 48 sq inches.

Last edited:
Back