• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Removal Help - AX15

nickfaria

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to get my transmission out of my truck (93 XJ 5spd 4x4 6 cyl) but it doesn't seem to slide out.
I removed all the linkages and exhaust components and I removed all bolts from the bellhousing to the engine that I could find.
I'm keeping the t-case attached to the tranny and waiting to remove it after the transmission is out of the car.
I left the tranny engaged on 3tr gear like the manual says, but it doesn't seem to slide out of the engine.
Have anyone ever done rhis job? Any ideas on how I should go about it?
Thanks, Nick.

I'm assuming you have it up on a transmission jack to hold the weight, so its not binding.

You unbolted the two top torq bolts, that you can only get at with long extensions from the top-side shifter boot area.

I basically got mine out by kicking the transmission jack backwards when it was in a level position.

This may sound stupid, but.....

Trans linkage, and t-case linkage? Clutch master cylinder? can't think of anything else unless there are bellhousing bolts you cant see.

Try feeling all around the upper part of the housing as you may not be able to see all of the bolts.

oh yeah....GOOD LUCK.

there are 3 bolts with 13mm heads facing the front of the vehicle. one above the startet . one at the bottom of the bell housing and the other on the drivers side behind the exh manifold if you didnt already remove them. sometimes you just have to pry harder.

Thanks guys, I got it out.
I'll take to the jeep junkyard close buy to have the tranny rebuild.
I'll hit you back when I'm trying to put it in.
By the way, was it too hard to put it in?
I'm thinking thst will be very heavy to lift it in place, even using a jack it won't be easy to line up.
Did you put it in with the t-case on or off?
Thank you very much.
Nick Faria.

It's alot less akward to handle with the TC off. See if that junkyard has a few extra of the long bellhousing bolts lying around and pick them up. Cut the heads off and thread them in and use them as a guide/support for reinstalling the trans. Once you have the trans up on those bolts, it'll slip right in. Pull them out and reinstall all the bolts/nuts, then bolt the TC back on. Jack it all back up and reinstall the X-member, but note that it's not symmetrical (it only fits one way even tho it looks like it'll line up if reversed). Trust me, it won't, and you'll go nuts trying to get everything to line up. One side will bolt up, but the other will be off by about 1/4"
HTH,
Jeff

Back