• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Local Trail info wanted :)

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I am slowly working on putting together a list of local trails. Actually I will take any info that you have :) :)

I'm looking for as much info as possible: GPS coordinates of trailhead, short description of what the trail has/includes along with difficulty and such.... Also if known local gas/food/lodging info might be good :) :)

Thanks

Remi aka Kejtar

the a.k.a. thing

Does this mean you are going the route of slip kid and slowly working your nick into the fray. he started out as michael flowers, then came slip kid, a.k.a. michael flowers, and eventually took off the training wheels and is now just slip kid. it actually took me a bit to remember his real name. is remi the thing now? when is this transition going to take place?

lol...... well... for the longest time I have used Kejtar while on the internet... it's a nickname that I have aquired maaaaany moons ago..... So now I started to run into a problem where I have had people go who's Remi or who's Kejtar.... so I list both :) :) Plus Remi seems to be easier for people to pronounce then Kejtar.

Remi is the real name, Kejtar is the nickname....

Remi aka Kejtar

Here are a couple far out in Eastern Riverside Co. North of Desert Center on Hwy. 177 there is one of those BLM info. boards
that marks the Palen Pass Rd. I heads EAst from 177 up into Palen Pass due to the mining in the area this was a graded road and still passible in a stock XJ. There are old ruins of rock buildings some more recent mining activity old water wells (basicly covered holes in the ground) as you continue East you enrter a valley bordered by the Little Marias on the North the Palens on the West & the McCoys on the East. The road starts to head South at this point & becomes a real good graded road. Afew miles South looking to the East at the base of the mountains there are pill boxes from when Patton was training out
in this area. Continuing South when you reach the North end of the McCoys you can go West or East. West will take you back into

OOPS !! I fat fingured it !!
West will take you back to the East side of the Palens on a "cherry stem" that has a 3 sided concrete building that was supposedly one of Pattons "cabins" further up the "cherry stem" is some more mining buildings & diggins. At the previously mentioned East/West "T" at the North end of the McCoys there are some mines on the West slopes. One in peticular the miners
poured two concrete tracks up the side of the mountain across a
telephone pole & corrugated tin bridge to a mine high on the slope. Back on the Eastern side of the McCoys the road remains
graded passing several mines on the way out to the Midland/Rice Rd. (graded) & South to Blythe (Food & Gas) & I-10. There are many other side roads yet to be explored so there is enough for afew trips to the area.
Much of this area is closed but everything I described is (for now)
open, no real 4 wheel'n just scattered small spots. You are quite
away from help so the usual measures need to be taken & maps
can be had at the BLM Palm Springs office at the Indian Ave. off ramp as you come into the Coachella Valley (near the windmills).
On a side note last fall I lead a group out in this area & while on a short hike a coworker found a set of dog tags & a medalion from the 40s !! WAY COOL ! There are also other artifacts (mines the kind that might blow up!) to find if time & a detector are taken.
If anyone has any questions about this area or most of Eastern Riverside Co. give me a holler.
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Thanks Mike but I already have it :) :) I am looking to compile local trail info for SoCal XJ'rs by SoCal XJ'rs so that it can be posted sometime in the future on the SoCal chapter of NAXJA webpage (whenever that comes alive) thus I cannot really use any currently printed material too much (unless I get permission and so on....)......

So I already have quite a bit that I have been accumulating for quite a while now and I'm looking for more and then over the summer when things slow down at work (I hope :) ) I will start to put things together so that they start making sense :) :)

Kejtar

I have a book from 4x4books.com or deervalleypress.com that covers the san Bernardino mountains. It has all the trails in Big Bear and that area. I can probably send you a copy of the pages on the best trails. I have ran just about all of them. I don't know if this is the area you are looking for or not. let me know

Back