• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I figure out the stock Gear Ratio???

3.55 is what you should have

You can check the metal tag that may still be on the diff cover, or you can open the cover when you change the gear oil; the ring gear has the tooth count for the ring and pinion stamped into it. A little math will tell you the ratio. You can also jack up the rear, tranny in 'N' and turn the tire. Divide the driveshaft rotations by the wheel rotations to get your axle ratio.

My 1994 is a 3.73:1 with a Dana 35 rear end and AW-4 tranny.

Robert

XJWheelie said:
My 1994 is a 3.73:1 with a Dana 35 rear end and AW-4 tranny.

Robert
Has this been confirmed? 3.73 was not a factory offering in 1994. Did you buy your XJ new or did the previous owner regear?

I bought it new. The 3.73 gearing is listed on the sheet that is on the window. I ordered it from the factory with the lowest gearing that they would put it in so that I could trailer better.

I would recommend going to any Jeep dealer with your VIN in hand and ask them for a build sheet/printout of factory options/VIN check etc. They never agree on what to actually call it. Its free and only takes 5 minutes at the dealer. Plus you can find out some interesting stuff. Mine came with factory remote keyless entry which I never knew...
btw mine has 3.55s and its a 96

I have a similar question... 1994, 5sp manual, 4.0L I-6 and part-time 4WD... going to put 33"s on it and I'm trying to figure out if 4.10 or 4.56 would keep the same gearing as the stock 225/75/15s when driving a stick shift...

cterlizzi said:
I have a similar question... 1994, 5sp manual, 4.0L I-6 and part-time 4WD... going to put 33"s on it and I'm trying to figure out if 4.10 or 4.56 would keep the same gearing as the stock 225/75/15s when driving a stick shift...

I would run 4.56s with that setup. 4.10s would probably be ok, but I say better to go a little deeper now than wish you had later.

I'm debating between 4.10s and 4.56s as we speak.

I don't plan on running anything larger than 33s since I drive to off-road events versus trailering... and plenty of times I've gone over 2K miles round trip to go to an event...

Therefore I don't think I'll appreciate the ride with 35s too much...

Last edited:
Back