• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! Can't get the cross shaft out of my 8.25 ARB!!

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, there are two cross-shafts in the 8.25 ARB. One that goes all the way through, and one that intersects the long one at a perpendicular angle and only goes halfway through. Now I got the retaining bolt out of the long one, but the short one's bolt won't come out. Now by all logical thoughts, I should be able to take the long one out first(which is all I need to remove the mother f-in C-clips). The long one spins in place when I turn the carrier, so I know that it's loose. But how do I slide it out? I tried beating on it with a brass punch and mini-sledge, and it has about a 1/16" of play in and out, but that's it. PLEASE HELP! I was supposed to ship this to the buyer today and I feel awful that I've got his money and can't ship it yet. Thanks

Ary

P.S. Wannabe, any parts that I damage or break I'll replace.

Somebody please help. I'm gonna call ARB's techline today when they open, but I'm not sure how helpful they'll be. Thanks

Ary

Safari Ary said:
Somebody please help. I'm gonna call ARB's techline today when they open, but I'm not sure how helpful they'll be. Thanks

Ary

Alright, quit your whimpering......

Once the long side retaining bolt is loose, it should slide right out. Are you hitting towards the side of the ring gear that has the ground teeth?

The only other thing that may be holding it up is a bit of binding on the U-shaped short cross shaft support mechanism. Support that with a screwdriver so it doesn't bind, spray some WD-40 in for lube and try it again.

CRASH

:D I was hoping you would respond. You were the person I aimed this thread at. :D I've hit the cross shaft in both directions, and it doesn't move more than a hair either way. The shaft spins though when I rotate the carrier, so I know that the retaining bolt is loose, because it would prevent it from spinning. I'll have to try the screwdriver tip on the U-shaped support thing and see if that helps. Thanks

Ary

C-MuRdaA said:
Don't hesitate to call the guys at ARB, I have found them to be very helpful with anything I need.
(206) 264-1669

And very willing to charge you for their parts and services. :D

CRASH

Back