• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

time for a LA poll

what height with LA's

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
how many of ya'll run LA's and at what height? doing an experiment and stats always prove a point. :cheers: also note if you are running DB's instead

go with RE 5.5 Reg Suspension kit and then buy Clayton's LA kit. probably the best setup you could ever want and your gona net around 6.5" total

MuddinXJ said:
go with RE 5.5 Reg Suspension kit and then buy Clayton's LA kit. probably the best setup you could ever want and your gona net around 6.5" total

"probably the best setup you could ever want " :puke:

Oh my gawd, what's this world coming to?!! :eek: :shocked: :shocked: :dunno:

Don't you just love that loss of ground clearance.......this is the best ever.
crossmember2.jpg

:gag: :gag:

:wave:

:D :D

(couldn't resist)

Goatman said:
"probably the best setup you could ever want " :puke:

Oh my gawd, what's this world coming to?!! :eek: :shocked: :shocked: :dunno:

Don't you just love that loss of ground clearance.......this is the best ever.
crossmember2.jpg

:gag: :gag:

:wave:

:D :D

(couldn't resist)

well you may loose a little ground clearance but w/ a good sized tire(35" or more) you wont ever notice it. but you will have to hack the shit outa your fenders. but there is no sense in arguing because i know im fighting a loosing battle when Goatman gets on topic.

*reminder* never argure w/ Goatman. You Will Always Loose because HE KNOWS HIS SHIT

im at about 5.5" of lift. my arms are made, i just have to finish swapping in the d44 and make a crossmember.

I'm about to install my LA's built by someone local (shimmy, you might know him, he's on the PNW board ;) ). Right now I'm sitting at 6", but I plan on bumping up to 8" when the 35's go on. There's a few others (5 that I can think of) running them from that board too, so if you want some fine details, drop a line there too.

Presently, I'm running the RE drop brackets. That made a big diffrence and thus far has worked out just fine. I think the LA's will just be a step up in flexability and maybe ride a litte nicer.

"well you may loose a little ground clearance but w/ a good sized tire(35" or more) you wont ever notice it."

Well, I didnt notice my long arms on the trail until I put on my 35s. They rub on rocks more than my rockrails!:doh:

When I built mine, clearance was the most important criteria!Since I lost "Zero" inches I have yet to hit them on anything!

Not to mention the improved ride characteristics with the suspension geometry back where its suposed to be!!! Im running claytons crossmember with RE TJ arms and 6" and It rides like a dream.

MuddinXJ said:
well you may loose a little ground clearance but w/ a good sized tire(35" or more) you wont ever notice it. but you will have to hack the shit outa your fenders. but there is no sense in arguing because i know im fighting a loosing battle when Goatman gets on topic.

*reminder* never argure w/ Goatman. You Will Always Loose because HE KNOWS HIS SHIT

If you've noticed, I rarely comment on long arm threads anymore, but the "and then buy Clayton's LA kit. probably the best setup you could ever want " comment was just too hard to pass up. I think it's been clear that I don't actually have a problem with long arms, even though it's fun to ocasionally poke at something that is so universally accepted as the greatest mod since 33" tires. My issues with long arms are well documented, the lack of ground clearance of some of the designs, and the many times mindless passion about installing them.......regardless of any actual benefits or detriments.

To me, ground clearance rules, because more often than not that's what stops you on the trail. I ask my friends to forgive me, I'm only posting these pics to make a point. BTW, both are on 35's.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Partly because of discussions that we've had on these forums, there are some well designed long arms out there, but like most other things, doing LA's right isn't easy, so you won't get it from an inexpesively priced mostly bolt on kit. I might actually have a long arm setup one day, who knows (not on my current rig, though), but it won't compromise ground clearance. I'm trailering now, so I guess running LA's some day is also possible. :D

As far as "never argure w/ Goatman. You Will Always Loose because HE KNOWS HIS SHIT" I've been corrected here, it just doesn't happen very often because I do my best to only post about stuff that I have first hand knowledge about.

:cheers:

yea i know Goatman. usually every time i see you post in Tech its probably the best advice there is. that is one reason i like getting your comments.

MuddinXJ said:
yea i know Goatman. usually every time i see you post in Tech its probably the best advice there is. that is one reason i like getting your comments.
I'd have to agree with that! the issue of ground clearance is a good point. hey goat, nice pix to prove a point...

I used short arms and drop brackets for years with 10" of lift, rode fine to me, just got tired of ripping track bar brackets and track bars up. How? you ask, if your set up has lots of droop the axle moves backwards a lot with short arms and it binds the track bar pretty badly. I installed LAs also b/c I got tired of dropping off or climbing steep ledges and having someone say "whoa, your running over your front axle". The benefits imho far out weigh the loss of ground clearence. However 98% of the XJs i see that have long arms really have no need for them, I'm running 8" of lift, 38.5 SXs. As for the poll ,I'm running Claytons x-member and RE TJ long arms, I'm sure the clayton arms work great, I just didn't like the square tubing look.

what do you all think of the new full traction 6" kit with the 4 link setup? mine is on order right now

bj-666 said:
what do you all think of the new full traction 6" kit with the 4 link setup? mine is on order right now

Do a quick search and you'll find a ton of posts on this. I've been running the kit since April and love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back