• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lights dead in gauges and console...

sportsguy

NAXJA Forum User
Last time this happened I figured (after research and feedback) that it was the headlight switch - after all, they are known to drop dead.

$21 later, I had the new switch and got it installed - everything worked fine - though we found a popped 5 AMP fuse during the install. (Should have clued in then...)

Fast-forward several weeks.

Everythng was fine UNTIL I came out of the touchless car wash down the road last night. It was dusky out, so I didn't immediately notice I had no dash lights.

I ran home, found the dead 5 AMP fuse and propmtly replaced it. Everything was back to normal - all lights functioned perfectly - on,off...on,off...on,off...no issues.

At this point I grab a dog (I have several to choose from...LOL) and started to head for the airport to pick up my wife.

I'm not even 100' from the house, look down, no dash lights! WTF! GD! MF!

I'm thinking there is a loose wire (maybe) or something is shorting out due to water ingress - I notice the reverse light cover on the passenger side tail-lamp assembly is out of place and allowing water in, but I'm not sure water THERE would short out my dash lights - every other system of lights work fine.

Perhaps I have a leak around my windshield and it drips onto something? There are zero water spots anywhere on the carpet under the dash and the night it first happened it was clear and dry out...so I'm letting this theory sit for the moment.

Any ideas on where to start?

Could my gauge cluster be on the outs? (BTW, all gauges work as they normally have.)

Thanks.

Do you mean park lights or brake lights?

Park lights I have (At least I did last night).

...and would this cause the fuse to pop?

My 89 was blowing the park light fuse and the dash lights run off the parklight circuit. Anyway it was the headlight remider that was doing it. blue rectangle on the right side of the fuse pannel. Pulled it out, replaced the fuse and everything worked.

Shouldn't this thread be in OEM Tech?

andyr354 said:
Shouldn't this thread be in OEM Tech?

I thought of that before I posted, but being kinda new here, I wasn't sure. My truck is modded, but I'd hardly say this problem is a mod problem.

I'm cool if it's moved - sorry if I'm outta place.

Duane

Should this item be using a 5 AMP fuse? There is some discussion on another board I posted on that maybe this should have a 10 AMP fuse anyway.

After all, it is an almost 11 year old truck - I'm sure a fuse or two have been changed over it's life...

I had a similar problem and killed myself trying to find it. I was unable to find anything wrong including fuses. I decided to just replace all the fuses at the same time and the problemm was solved. None of the old fuses looked bad.

It's called the "Chime Module"lower left side of the fuse block.
The module buzzes (or is supposed to)to remind ya bout seatbelts,headlights,keys.However the module has been known to play hell with the the dash lights,parking lights.
There is a release tab to the left of the module,right up against the drivers side kickpad.Pull the module,replace the inst pnl fuse,turn lights on,if you got dash lights,that was the prob,if not time to start tracin wires.....

I'll check the chime thingey - thanks for that tip.

Here's the latest on my "research" into this problem:

We had a little meet & greet last night in town. During the course of chewing the trans-fats, I poked under a few Cherokee dashes - lo and behold, everyone has a 5 AMP fuse in this spot.

(One of my threads on this topic had garnered responses to the affect that maybe this should be a larger fuse.)

I figured if this thing was shorting due to water in a tail-light (or any light for that matter), it'd be dry enough by last night to be OK - so I replaced the fuse.

WE HAVE LIGHT!

Lasted until I was about to turn onto my street...looked down and saw darkness. Now, this happened after making a 90 degree left turn off the main road, so any water (if that's the problem) would have moved to the right wherever it is.

I'm hoping to get some time over the next few evenings or on the wekend to take the rear lights apart to see what's up with them.

If I get the welder I want for my birthday, I might just try to make replacement lights with LED inserts and blend the metal into the sides of the truck...(lot's of ideas, no possible energy to follow through...)

Anyway, I just wanted to update this thread for anyone with similar problems.

Jut and idea. Pop another fuse in there and turn the steering wheel lock to lock and see if it also blows. Then I might suspect the turn signal switch or another wire inside the steering colum could be rubbed raw after all these years.

Back