• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low diff oil level after SYE

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at a TJ that had a SYE and think that the pinion bearing is on the way out due to the oil level being too low! Now those with SYE on their XJ's would have the same problem. The pinion now is quite a bit higher now and add to that that the fill plug is now lower and compounds the problem.
On Tom Woods site he recomends over filling it but I would like to know exactly how much more to add? Pretty easy to work out how much the filler hole is lower but the pinion is a lot higher than before. Should I measure a stock pinion height compared to the filler hole to make sure it is the same level around the pinion? This would mean that it would be much heigher around the diff centre and not sure if that is all good either?
I could add more oil down the vent at the top of the axle or jack the rear up as high as possible before adding through the standard filler hole too. Might even add another fill plug at the right hieght once I know what it should be!

What are your thoughts guys?

When I had a 8.25 i would drive in a ditch in my yard,rear was about 2' higher than front .And fill the rear axle.Was running a 6* shim so the pinion was pretty high,after a 100,000 miles the bearings were still quiet.
I now have a 44 still with the 6* shim and just fill the axle on level ground.
Wayne

Back