• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front end troubles wearing out tires quick

naturalbornmudder

NAXJA Forum User
I lifted my XJ with a 3" Rancho and put on 31" Dunlops. They seem to be wearing fast. The tires both seem to camber in some times and there is a wearing noise in the front end. I suspect hub bearings. Anyone else got a suggestion?

Did you have it aligned after the lift was installed?

i had the same set up but did an alignment, tires still wore quick. i think it is just the dunlops. i dont care though, i got all 4 new for 300. definetly will spend the extra bucks and get bfg next time

I am worried that you have more than an alignment problem. There should not be any 'wearing' noises even with incorrect alignment! It could well be the bearings but un-likely to be both sides at once so is one tyre wearing worse than the other?
Otherwise do your own alignment in the mean time like shown here. http://go.jeep-xj.info

wow, great link. I will be doping my own alignment tonight. Too cool.Thanks .

I suspect it is front bearings going out as well. That is the whole assembly, right? Not just pressing in a new bearing?

Gojeep said:
Otherwise do your own alignment in the mean time like shown here. http://go.jeep-xj.info

I see that you state Command Trac's should have an 1/8" toe in on the front end...where did you get this data from??

It seems everywhere I've read that it was zero toe... Just trying to make certain I have mine set correctly.

The previous owner had mine set at 1/2" toe in!!! I currently set it back to zero.

Jeep has used different alignment specs in different years.

Remember the old saying, "In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is."? IN THEORY toe should always be zero. In practice, ball joints, tie rod ends, drag link ends, etc, all have small amounts of play in them. When the front wheels are not driving, they are being pushed by the rear wheels and their resistance takes up all the cumulative slop in the various rod ends. If the toe is set to zero, when all the slop is taken up the tires run splayed out. So the manufacturers specify a modest amount of toe-in (typically 1/16 to 1/8) to allow for this, on the theory that this will result in zero toe under dynamic conditions.

A shop I used to go to many years ago used a spring-loaded spreader bar between the leading edges of the front tires to take out the slop, then set toe-in to zero for all vehicles. It worked great.

Jeep specifies zero toe for the 242-equipped models because they assume (correctly or not) that a majority of drivers will leave it in full-time, so the front wheels will always be driving. That takes the play (slop) out in the other direction, so if the toe-in is set at 1/8 at rest, under full-time drive conditions it will actually be more and the outer shoulders of the tires will wear quickly.

Eagle said:
Jeep specifies zero toe for the 242-equipped models because they assume (correctly or not) that a majority of drivers will leave it in full-time, so the front wheels will always be driving. That takes the play (slop) out in the other direction, so if the toe-in is set at 1/8 at rest, under full-time drive conditions it will actually be more and the outer shoulders of the tires will wear quickly.

I suppose that would account for the abnormal wear pattern onthe outside my front tires....as I stated earlier, the previous owner had dialed in 1/2" toe in.

The front end components are in pretty good shape so I'm not sure what he was trying to compensate for??

The steering box was on it's way out (I fixed that), perhaps the wandering from that was what he was compensating for.

Back