• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 vs Ford 9" vs D60

Which would be the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
d44 is not even competition first of all.
imo go for a 60... fullfloaters are supreme, just think about it.
9"s are cool because they are dropout and easy to replace r&p... but when you break a semifloat shaft you are screwed imo.

everyone knows d60s are the best. i would maybe run a 9" under a sami or really lightweight buggy, but go for a 35 spl 60.

you didn't say what size tires you're planning for, so there's no way to tell you what's best for you. if you're planning on sticking with the 35s and 4cylinder that's in your sig, the D44 will do just fine so there's no point in losing clearance and upgrading.

okay, I just noticed you sig says you're putting in a 360, so it's time to upgrade the D44 or get a different axle, the question remains, what size tires?

I think the best axle out there for 37-40 inch tires is what SeanP did, 9" with 14bolt outers. Drop out 3rd members are great, and he's got full-float with the 14bolt outers, plus the 9" has much better ground clearance than a 14bolt or even a 60

BrettM said:
I think the best axle out there for 37-40 inch tires is what SeanP did, 9" with 14bolt outers. Drop out 3rd members are great, and he's got full-float with the 14bolt outers, plus the 9" has much better ground clearance than a 14bolt or even a 60

if we are talking custom axles it is a whole different ballgame.
a 40 spl 9" fullfloat would be pretty cool! those 40 spline shafts are huge! but lets talk serious now.

if it were me, i would go for a d60 and put on d70 spindles for the 1.5" i.d and shave the hell out of it.
with a 360 you can bust the crap out of a d44, especially with 5.38's

xj_punk said:
d44 is not even competition first of all.
imo go for a 60... fullfloaters are supreme, just think about it.
9"s are cool because they are dropout and easy to replace r&p... but when you break a semifloat shaft you are screwed imo.

everyone knows d60s are the best. i would maybe run a 9" under a sami or really lightweight buggy, but go for a 35 spl 60.

:rolleyes: "fullfloaters are supreme, just think about it" Yeah, right. Heavy, low clearance, and 30 spline........supreme. :rolleyes:

If you're running a full width D44 that's welded, I'll assume your a cheap dude and want to keep it that way. :) A 35 spline D60 has to be custom built (OK, there are a few semi-float 35 spline 60's out there, but hard to find), so you're talking about a full floater which is 30 spline, same shaft size as a D44, and the D60 is much heavier with less ground clearance. With 35's I'd stick with the D44.

The 9" uses 31 spline shafts, if you don't get one of the early models that has 28 spline shafts. The ring and pinion are much stronger than a D44, but the shafts are very slightly stronger, with the lower pinion (and driveline) of the 9". I wouldn't swap one out to replace a D44, you gain very slightly in shaft strength but loose in pinion height.......not worth it.

I'd get some alloy shafts for the D44, especially if you're running the 35's. If you're going to run larger tires, and are willing to spend some dough to be unbreakable, spring for a custom built 35 spline HP60.

BTW, an AMC 360 has about as much power as a stroked 4.0, if it's built decently.........not a big deal.

Last edited:
91 Jeep Project said:
Are the rear 35 spline ff 60s really that hard to find?? Guess I should have bought it when I found it in the yard since thats what I'm gonna use.......... :doh:

Hard to find? There's no such thing. There where very few applications that came with a semi-float D60 that's 35 spline (and c-clip, if anyone cares), but ff D60's are 30 spline and the cool 35 spline semi-floaters that so many people run are all custom axles.

Like my 35 spline HP Tera60R.

Stick said:
Well, just had a wrench thrown into the works, looks like I may have a D70 in the garage. :dunno:

there is a d70 sitting under my jeep right now. $100 for the entire axle. 1.5" shafts and 32splines (i know 35splines are better) sound pretty good to me.
and huge ass brakes if your going to run the drums

I have one too, 35 splines, Detroit and 5.86 gears :D gives real peace of mind when wheelin' :wave:

Goatman said:
:rolleyes: "fullfloaters are supreme, just think about it" Yeah, right. Heavy, low clearance, and 30 spline........supreme. :rolleyes:

like i said, 35 spline 60.
and the clearance you lose, you can get back with bigger tires. weight can be cut down with the addition of discs and shaving. if you think a 44 is supreme you are on crack! have a nice day :rolleyes:

Back