• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 3/4 back spacing

00xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I think I goofed. I bought a set of rims and didn't pay much attention to the back spacing. I'm stupid about things like that. I measured from the back lip of the rim to the face that sits on the hub and got 3 3/4. My 235's now rub on the top of my rear flair.

I'm at stock height, 2000xj, some rear sag.

Did I goof?

Will a 3in lift solve my problems?

Will a 30 of 31 ever stuff in my rear fender?

What is the ideal backspacing for my situation?

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, you goofed a bit on backspacing. A 3" lift MAY fix it, but I highly doubt it. It will just allow for more compression allowing the tire to move further towards the centerline of the Jeep. I doubt enough though.

Stock backspacing is 5.5", you now have a 3 1/2" wider stance than stock now. I would think for a 235, stock backspacing is ideal (my buddy has 235's, stock rims, and 2" lift and they tuck perfectly), maybe a 1/4"-1/2" less could work well too. You can definitely get those tires to tuck up nicely if the rims are set right. HTH _nicko_

Yeah,you goofed big time!4.5" is probably the most common.Both my Factory 16" alloys and my factory 15"steel wheels came w/ 5" Backspace.

you didnt goof.. all you need to do now is lift it 6 inches with the appropriate mods , chop the fenders, replace the axles, get a 4 to 1 kit and run some 35s . :)

i run 3.75 at seven inches and my 33x10.50 clears just fine with almost no triming, my next set of 33x12.50 wont but i'll get new rims then.

jimmy forbes said:
i run 3.75 at seven inches and my 33x10.50 clears just fine with almost no triming, my next set of 33x12.50 wont but i'll get new rims then.

I want to see pictures of that!I just bought 15x7" w/ 4.5" backspace and 33x10.5's!Im at 5.5" lift and they rub everywhere!

hey RCP Phx i have pics give me your e-mail and i will send it to you. they clear just fine

Stock is 5.5 right, so how can a 31 stuff in behind the fender flair, or doesn't it?

Most will say 5.25" is stock,but both set of mine are 5" backspace.31's will rub on the inside with a 3" kit and stock rims.

Don't worry too much about it, I ran 3.75" BS'ed rims with 31's a few years back at 4" of lift and they occasionally rubbed in the rear on full stuff, but the rub was minor.

XJEEPER

00xj said:

Stock is 5.5 right, so how can a 31 stuff in behind the fender flair, or doesn't it?
Stock BS is 5.25" (at least on mine it was) In answer to your question, since you have no lift at all the "ideal backspacing" is stock! But if you have to have aftermarket wheels, I'd get as close to stock as possible. That means sticking with a 7" wide wheel. You can get those with 4.75" and 4.5" BS and might be able to find some 5" somewhere. If you still rub you can always lift it! ;)

Where'd you buy them? If it was from a shop, and unless you told them (do worry what damn car I have just give me the wheels", They goofed - not you!

Now if you bought them used...

I agree with the above I am running 35's on 15X8's with 3 3/4" BS and 6" lift and some trimming. They work ok for me, although I haven't decided on weather or not to take them back yet. You could probibly take yours back, keep in mind future mods though. If you want to lift and run bigger tires you have to watch your BS. Too much and they will rub on the inside of the fender. Too little and they rub on the outside. Trimming can help the latter.

00xj said:
I'm at stock, going to +3in.

Just need to know the best backspacing/tire/least amout of rubbing combo.

Thanks all

If your 3" and not going any further than, 15x7 4.5"- 4.75" BS, 31 x 10.5

If planning on going higher/bigger tires, 15 x 8 4.5"or 3.73" BS

This will not eliminate trimming or rubbing. It will eliminate most of it. There is usually trimming involved no matter what you try.

Back