• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bent up Crossmember

mission-inc

NAXJA Forum User
While wheelin the other day I didn't see a rock and slammed my junk on it. :dunno: It bend the crossmember in the middle and raised the transfer case alittle. Now there are vibrations while the engine is in "drive". Anyway I was poking around there today and unbolted the crossmember. I've been banging on that thing for an hour or so to try to get it back in. Everything i've tried hasn't worked. I've been able to get one side up, but the other side doesn't line up. :flamemad:

Any ideas? I believe the transfer case may be vibrating on the under body, and that is causing the vibrations. However it's odd that it only occurs when the transmission is in drive.

Pictures will come in a bit, they are pretty nasty... :puke: Thanks for any direction.

Oh, on that note, I was trying to remove the crossmember, so I could maybe straiten it out, to correct the vibrations. What's the easiest way to get the damn thing out?

Option 1:
use a highlift as a press.
Option 2:
in a vise straighten it bit by bit (work each side about an inch at a time)
Option 3:
go to a boneyard and get another one.

mission-inc said:
While wheelin the other day I didn't see a rock and slammed my junk on it. :dunno: It bend the crossmember in the middle and raised the transfer case alittle. Now there are vibrations while the engine is in "drive". Anyway I was poking around there today and unbolted the crossmember. I've been banging on that thing for an hour or so to try to get it back in. Everything i've tried hasn't worked. I've been able to get one side up, but the other side doesn't line up. :flamemad:

Any ideas? I believe the transfer case may be vibrating on the under body, and that is causing the vibrations. However it's odd that it only occurs when the transmission is in drive.

Pictures will come in a bit, they are pretty nasty... :puke: Thanks for any direction.

Oh, on that note, I was trying to remove the crossmember, so I could maybe straiten it out, to correct the vibrations. What's the easiest way to get the damn thing out?

jneary said:
if you hit a big enuogh rock, you cuold have bent a brive shaft, look to see if it runs true while rolling. preferably on a lift

? I have hit my stock crossmember many a time and had to straighten it out twice :D to get rid of vibes :D

What's the easiest way to get the crossmember off? There are two bolts on the transfer case that I *believe* hold the crossmember on, but I've only been able to get one off, and it was a PITA.

Is there something that I'm missing?

Thanks for your help.

get a new crossmember to be sure it is strait. it probably has your driveshafts at bad angles. i v mine pretty bad last summer and banged it back enough to drive home, but had to in 4wd. now is your chance to get a heavy duty x-member. i went with orgs never had the problem again. plus i nailed a few times this weekend at NacFest.

Yea I was thinking I should get some sort of protection.

So getting the damn thing off...? It's not budging... :shiver:

mission-inc said:
Yea I was thinking I should get some sort of protection.

So getting the damn thing off...? It's not budging... :shiver:

THere should be 4 nuts from the tranny mount to the crossmember in the middle (13mm IIRC) and then on the sides you have 2 bolts and 2 nuts on 2 studs. For the bolts in the middle, take a flashlight and see if they maybe got damaged or something (if that's where the impact was). If not, use plenty pb blaster on them and then a long breaker bar (worst case scenario you'll replace a tranny mount which is not too much $$). Be carefull with the studs though: either double nut them or get a stud remover from either harbor freight (~$15) or Sears (~$20)

Alright I got the crossmember off. I feel kinda dumb because I completly blanked on the 4 nuts in the middle of the member. Anyway, one of the holes was smashed over the nut so I couldn't get it out. I broke out the grinder and went to town on that little bugger.

Pick n Pull today to get a new crossmember.

Thanks again for helping me. :us:

Back