• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dead,Dead,Dead!!!

Jeepers Creepers

NAXJA Forum User
In the early spring I fired up my 90 XJ to play in the mud. She ran for 5 min. and died(just died, no pow, pop, etc.) Fuel was low so I added, but no go. Changed filter no go. Now it might just be eazyest to list all the things that have been changed and done and see if anyone can figure this one out. PS a friend owns a garage and he had no luck. Fule regulater, lines, and injectors, distributer pickup, plugs, wires, cap, coil, CPS, map, computer, All fuses, fuse links, solinoids, fuel pump, TPS, throttle body, valve train moving, figured if chain streched we could pick up something if we rotated dist., nothing. I have fuel, spark, and air, but she won't change. Someone PLEZ HELP!!!!!

Got to be fuel or spark most times or the sensor/ECU that controls them. If you have a good spark at the plugs and the injectors go klick klick klick, while it´s cranking, something is bound to happen, even if it´s just one cylinder. Pressure at the fuel rail test port? The injectors click, pretty good when they are popping, if they don´t click, it´s often a connector or wiring. Moisture in a connector, loose connectors, have given me fits in the past.
Sure it was gas, you added.

i had an identical situation the other day. what happened was the cps gave out, but the other shop did several things before fixing it, what they did was took the distributor out to check it out and by some means installed it 180 degrees out. it had spark and fuel but wouln not start. you cannot remove the distributor and expect to install it exactly the way it was originally. the oil pump drive always moves a little bit extra and the timing cannot be set just right.there is an old tsb that describes just how to set the timing properly. sometimes it is cheaper taking it to the dealer then to have someone throw parts at it hoping they will fix it. this computer timing system is sensitive to mis adjustment

Thanks guys, I've tried the cps, and the distributer pick up was changed, but nothing worked. My friend tends to think that I'm not getting power to the injectors. I'm sure to find it someday! Steve

Back