• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Poll for the radiator prefered

Which one is best radiator

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fasty

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to know every of your preference of the radiator which is the best choice. I have hard time decide which one should I go for CSF or Modine.

In 2000 I replaced the factory 2 row, 1 inch thick radiator with a GDI 3 row, 1.5 inch core. I never had a cooling problem.

I had to keep adding coolant to the engine. It was not bad but somewhere in a pint or quart every 1,000-3,000 miles. It was getting old. In Feb 2004 I was changing front turn signals bulbs and got the smell on the passenger side. I moved the mechanical fan shroud and found traces of a leak. I had white coming out of the end tank/core seam. I decided to replace vs fix it.

After seeing all the posts on here about GDI I had decided to try Modine the next time I changed the radiator. I picked one up at the modine distributor in town for $116 + tax. I installed it and that cooling loss is gone and it cools no worse than the GDI.

I was very happy with the GDI 3 row I got for my '90 before I wrecked it. $109 shipped overnight with a lifetime warranty from radiator.com. Hard to beat that. It kept my 4.0 right at about 200 degrees, with a very rusty cooling system. Before I replaced the bad thermostat, it wouldn't get above 160 degrees no matter what. Also it held up VERY well after I drove it through a pile of boulders and into a ditch at 50mph. :D The tranny cooler attached to the radiator looked like a wad of tin foil, but the radiator only had a couple fins bent...

i put an original in my 89 about 7 years ago, and oddly enough the heavy duty rad was the same price as the standard duty.so i opted for th h.d. never had a cooling system since.

Got a Modine in mine, put in by the previous owner... never had any problems with it.

I bought the CSF from Dirk about three months ago and haven't had a prob since. Also replaced my waterpump, was bad, hoses, and my t-stat at the same time. With the rad out of the way it was ten times easier to replace all that stuff.

Alex

I replaced the OE radiator with a brass/copper Modine 2 row about 3 months ago. I've yet to see the temp go above just past the 200 mark. Thats in traffic, and some fairly serious wheeling. I use a 50/50 mix of distilled water and Peak, with one pint of Redline Water Wetter. I also have a separate tranny cooler in front of the condenser on the mech. fan side. I had a brass/copper CSF disintegrate after 2 years in another car, so thats why I looked into the Modine for my Jeep. I also got an awesome price on it. Hope this helps.

--Matt

You have problem with CSF 3 row radiator from dirk? How was the CSF 3 row. Dirk said it will outcooled than the GDI.

egon said:
I had a brass/copper CSF disintegrate after 2 years in another car, so thats why I looked into the Modine for my Jeep. I also got an awesome price on it. Hope this helps.

--Matt

No, this was a brass/copper CSF in a Saturn. I turned into swiss cheese in less then 2 years time. I thought it was a small leak and had a radiator shop look at it. They flushed out about a salt shaker's amount of brass and copper particles. Unimpressed with the quality, I looked into other options for my Jeep. I wound up buying the brass/copper Modine 2 row and have no complaints thus far.

--Matt

Back