• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maybe alternator?

I

imma honky

In december, I put some hyper blue bulbs in my stick 90. Whenever i turn my lights on, my power drops a goob bit. If i turn the cd, and air on, it almost redlines. This due to the crap stock alternator? fried/bad fuses/circuts? Thanks.

that sounds like an alternator, when its running a good alternator should go no lower than maybe 13.5 volts or so even with the lights and radio on. I believe you can pickup a rebuilt unit from autozone for about $100

eric

Blue? Ecch - we need to talk one of these days - you should be using Super Whites!

If you are losing alternator output, more draw will cause lower voltage. The regulator is supposed to keep output up when the load in incerased, but if you have done any electrical upgrades involving higher drain on the system (brighter lighting, high-powered stereo/amps, and suchlike,) you will start losing what may have been a perfectly good alternator. When you get a replacement, make sure to get a higher-rated unit (at least 100A.) It's better to have more power available than you need, as any unused capacity will be available for later, and it will be there when you need it later. As long as you don't use all of the capacity (leave a little over - I try to leave 10% overage for any electrical generating capacity.)

If you can find a good local shop, I recommend that route. I have a shop that does my rewinds - install and forget. It's nice having a stable alternator putting out a nominal 70A at idle and capable of almost 150A at full output....

5-90

Yeah, I can pick up a 160A alt for around 140 bucks....lifetime warrenty, and HO idle.
Not sure, but i think whites are illegal in some states. Plus the kit came with em, so I can switch if need be. Whats so special about em?
I m running a HO sterio, withinternal amp......

Back