• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Steering box will work on my 89

GAdawg

NAXJA Forum User
My 89XJ steeering box with 250K miles on it has been leaking for a while but also has some play in it. I am thinking of going junk yard shopping for another one. What years from other XJs will work? Should I just fork out for a new one?

I just swapped out my '89 box to a box from a '92 and it works awesome.

It stiffened the steering resistence up via the different internals in the box and it feels great. It always used to have that over assisted amount of power to it...always made it seem really twitchy and sensitive to steering input on the highway.

I would liken the new box to having a heavy steering dampner on the front....it steers like butter I tell ya!

Weasel said:
Durango box is suppost to be a direct bolt on. Search for more info.
and an upgrade I assume? I was surprised to see a Durango at Pick N Pull today, but it was pretty thrashed (accident). I'm going back tomorrow, I'll check and see if the box is okay, and if so you can expect to hear a report soon.

I know Jeep J20 boxes have a larger bore, and are bolt in or near bolt in. From what I hear parts stores will give you one with the smaller bore though, so you have to find an original one.

Been awhile, but I ordered a replacement box from www.larescorp.com. Guy asked, if I wanted the standard or quick ratio (guess he was seeing something in his book, that wasn´t in mine) thought, what the heck, ordered the quick. Just a touch twitchy, nothing eccesive. Sure is nice, in the woods and tight spots. Might cause wrist problems, with a tire bigger than say 30".
On another occasion, I was looking at doing, a standard to power conversion, on a W-200. Conversion locally was about $600, with aftermarket brackets and what not. Guy at Lares, set me up, with a reverse rotation box, that fit on the stock "L" bracket, direct bolt up. Most of the locals, still look at my power steering set-up and say that isn´t possible and call me a liar, when I say it cost $130.
I guess the results, probably depend, on who is on the phone, but I´ve been lucky so far.

Weasel said:
Durango box is suppost to be a direct bolt on. Search for more info.
I looked at that Durango today, and it uses Rack and Pinion steering

I don't know what year it was, but it wasn't one of the newer (ugly) style ones, it was first generation. I had read this before too, I wonder what the deal is...

BrettM said:

I don't know what year it was, but it wasn't one of the newer (ugly) style ones, it was first generation. I had read this before too, I wonder what the deal is...

Hmm, thanks for info. I think I will probably go looking for an early 90s box like Vincent suggested. Thanks for all the inpur guys.

from what research i've done, the durango box is a pain in the ass. you lose a bit of turning radius & need to use a washer/spacer between the box and framerail. I just put a box from an '00 XJ on my '90. is it ever stiff! but it does feel better than the old one with the wiggly sector shaft. my local jeep wrecker swears they are the same, but I wonder if I need a higher volume pump?

Last edited:
2WD DURANGOS had rack and pinion 4wd had a gear!

BrettM said:

xj4x4jeeps said:
My 89XJ steeering box with 250K miles on it has been leaking for a while but also has some play in it. I am thinking of going junk yard shopping for another one. What years from other XJs will work? Should I just fork out for a new one?

84-95 ALL THE SAME ! From cherokee that is... :thumbup:

Believe it or not, one from a Grand Cherokee up to '98, a caprice, blazer, older camaro, S-10, and many others. It is a very common steering gear!

Some time after 1990 Jeeps got a stiffer ratio steering gear- my 1990 is the too-light steering, the 1996 has the better heavier steering. I don't know the year of the change. All 1984 to late 1990s are NOT the same, due to ratio change and change in the connecting hoses. There was a switch from SAE fittings to o-ring fittings, again year unknow to me. Can anyone post the year break? Anyone figured out the fix for mis-matched hoses? Can you just use later model hoses on the steering gear, will they fit an earlier pump?

Back