• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

do you need to replace slow leaking rear main seal on 90 xj

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
I have grime on the bottom of my xj, (was there when I bought it six mos ago) and the person I bought it from said was caused by rear main seal.

I'm not losing any oil that I notice (don't drive it much) so I'm wondering if its important to replace the main seal.

How can I be sure that is the problem, and what happens if I do nothing.

I've already posted asking how to replace it, but before I spend time and/or money, I'd like to know whether its important to even bother.

My rear main has been leaking for several years ... in my case, it's not bad enough to spend the money.

However, if the front main starts leaking be prepared to replace it ... because, the harmonic balancer slings oil all over and makes a mess.

Save your money for the front main.

lapaul said:
I have grime on the bottom of my xj, (was there when I bought it six mos ago) and the person I bought it from said was caused by rear main seal.

I'm not losing any oil that I notice (don't drive it much) so I'm wondering if its important to replace the main seal.

How can I be sure that is the problem, and what happens if I do nothing.

I've already posted asking how to replace it, but before I spend time and/or money, I'd like to know whether its important to even bother.

mine,1989, has been leaking for years. replacing the ccv system really helped slow it down.

Back