• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V8 conversion headers?

XJjosh

NAXJA Member #1025
I did the V8 sb350 conversion in my XJ. it is a 96 and i am having fenderwell clearence issues with the headers. the driver side has room for a center dump or rear dump header, but the passenger side is really really tight. i could get a rear dump S-10 header in there with a little bending. is there any other alternatives as far as headers/manifolds? I bought the old style rams horns and they didnt work. and now the s-10 ones. HELP!!!

Anytime I´ve had serious exhaust clearance issues, I usually found the answer in the stock exhaust manifold from a van. Different configurations for different years, may have to mix a left and right from different years. Don´t really remember if the exhaust manifold for the late and early 350 is a different bolt pattern, imagine it is, the heads are some different. Often the van manifolds are short, tight and pretty darned big (open).

I also did the lightweight small-block LT-1 Chevy 350 V-8 conversion( 2.8 liter to 5.7 liter) and am assumeing that you already have Advanced Adapter's handy little brochure on the various conversion options ,transfer case mate-ups, different combinations of transmissions,bellhouseings,etc-On page 64 of this manual.,AA suggests for the Chevy V-8 exhaust setup use "manifolds off a 1982 & newer car"-This is the exhaust manifold headers I am useing with no clearance problems on my earlier model XJ ( circa 1985-1986 )

I seriously have about 4 inches from the engine to the framerail of clearence. and i cant wait to drive this thing.

Xjosh,..what combination of transmission and transfer case did you chose to go with ?-I am currently doing some re-modification on my XJ( 700-R4 + NP-228 ) and was wondering what type did you use for a transmission/transfer case adapter on your conversion-TIA

bxj said:
Xjosh,..what combination of transmission and transfer case did you chose to go with ?-I am currently doing some re-modification on my XJ( 700-R4 + NP-228 ) and was wondering what type did you use for a transmission/transfer case adapter on your conversion-TIA

i have a 350 crate motor/700R4 and a 231 from a blazer. same front output and internals as a jeep 231. and its a 27 spline so you can use the stock adapters and shifters. heck, i even got the jb conversions sye for 199 dollars for it. it bolts up great and only moves everything back about 4 inches. i used a front driveshaft from a grand cherokee as they are longer than the cherokee ones and it fits like it was meant to be there. now if i could only figure out this exhaust dilemma then i would be all set. :helpme:

Back