• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Place to Buy a NEW D44/D60

RokRdy

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I've gotten to the point where I am regearing, and I've alos gotten to the point where I have realized that my stock axles aren't worth regearing, so I'm looking for new axles front and rear. I either want to run a D44 front and rear, or a D44 front and D60 rear. I want the axles to be new, customizable upon build, as well as not 5k a piece. What are the best places out there to accomplish this?

RokRdy said:
Well, I've gotten to the point where I am regearing, and I've alos gotten to the point where I have realized that my stock axles aren't worth regearing, so I'm looking for new axles front and rear. I either want to run a D44 front and rear, or a D44 front and D60 rear. I want the axles to be new, customizable upon build, as well as not 5k a piece. What are the best places out there to accomplish this?

I'd check out some of the small custom 4x4 shops in your area. I don't know about MD, but we have a good collection of little "mom and pop" style 4x4 shops in the area.
Billy

RokRdy said:

Hmm... look at http://www.drivetraindirect.com http://www.currieenterprises.com/ although you might be looking at choosing 2 of the 3: cheap, customizeable and new.

The usual questions: what are you looking to do with it, and on what sized tires?

The Currie high pinion 9" is an excellent choice for the rear and can be sent to your door with discs, Detroit, gears, custom width/pinion angle, and alloy shafts for about $3K. Good for up to 36" tires.

If you have more coin, the Tera 60R is a great rear, and of course Dynatrack will take lots of your money for a custom axle. You could also find an XJ D44 for sale and have it regeared.

For the front...why is your D30 not up to the task? It is all the axle you need for 33" tires and can handle 35's in a lot of situations. The usual front mod is a D44. Any number of shops can do it for you, and the best option is starting with a high pinion mid 70's Ford front 44.

Or, if you just don't want both axles to be $5K (it would be hard to get a rear axle this expensive without four-linking the rear suspension), but one axle is fine for $5K, then call Dynatrac or one of the other big names.

I'd go locally if at all possible for the front, though. A rear leaf sprung XJ axle is simple, and low risk for having shipped to you. There are lots of things to mess up with the front. Dynatrac, for all of their top end stuff, could not simply build me a trackbar bracket over the axle to match up with the D44 hi-steer knuckles. Why? I have no clue. They needed to see my XJ.

The shop I used was Foothill Offroad, and they at least understand the trackbar issue, and still f'ed it up and left it too low. The fix was easy at a local shop, but shouldn't have been required. Decide on what front suspension you want before you start - it is expensive to simply replicate the factory design on a 44, and there are better options.

You can search here for a lot of info on this topic (long arms vs. short arms vs. mid-arms...three link vs. four link vs. radius arms...and on and on).

Hope that helps you get started.

Nay

Drivetrain Direct seems to be a good source of reasonably priced custom built axles. This is based on my own experience and the prices that I see in their ads. That's where I got my rear Tera60R, and I really shopped around.

One note, if you get a front D44 be sure that they snap ring the axle joints. I have two friends locally who just bought front D44's from Tri-County Gear, and I was very surprised to see that their brand new Spicer axles were assembled with c-clips rather than snap rings. They didn't think to ask, and both are running 35's.

New housings are a little harder to come by. Last time I talked to DTD about new 44's they had me on there list as a source on where to get one. other than that you can start calling around. But there prices are fairly good... but I know you can get better pricing, but thats my little secret...

RokRdy said:

drivetrain direct quoted me 6 or 7 hundred for a HP44 housing. didnt want to redo brakes, wheels, etc. but did want a stronger housing. works for me. they also offer 30 spline outers and unit bearing. expensive thought.

-g

A buddy of mine owns a 4x4 shop in Westminster, he has done a few custom axles. He is really good on pricing. PM me for the phone # he would be glad to talk axles with you. He can get all of the needed parts and set everything up if needed.
Glad to see another XJer in Maryland!

MIke

I will be at the Jeep show.

MIke

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just glad to see someone can ask about buying a built axle without the "Jeeps are built not bought!" crap. carry-on :D

Back