• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wandering....please help

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Brothas,

Here is the deal. I already did a search and got a basic idea but want more input on why I an getting wandering.

I have a 2001XJ with a modified rubicon express 4.5 inch lift. I have lower adjustable control arms, upper fixed, 4.5 coil springs with .75 inch spacers (so I am 5.25" in the front). I have the RE 4.5 leaf springs in the back with the 1.25 shackles so I am 5.75 in the back, I did this so when I put a tire carrier on the back I will be about even). Anyway, I have 31x12.5 mud terrains on 15x10 inch rims. I have had them balanced, had an alignement, set toe in, and have an adjustable track bar.

When I drive it tends to dart here and there. It is very inconsistent. If I am on a bumpy road or a road that has dips it will pull in one direction or the other. If I am on a smooth road or highway, the tracking is good ( I still do get swaying here or there but more mild) but as soon as there are country roads or even city roads that have bumps, etc. It is all over the place. I don't understand it because I had a 6 inch lift on a 89 jeep cherokee and never had these problems.

thanks guys

2001XJ

caster is at about 4.5 degrees and the toe in is near zero. The trackbar and draglink are parallel....any other suggestions?

thanks guys

Caster should be +7.0 degrees, toe in should be +0.25 degrees per 99 FSM. I assume your year would be the same.

Sorry what does 99 per FSM mean?

thanks

scoobyxj said:
1999 "F"actory "S"ervice "M"anual

Did you have any rubbing with this setup? I am looking at 15X10's (3.75BS) w/ 32X11.5's on a RE 5.5..............

Thanks

I would shorten the lower control arms. It's my understanding that wandering results from the axle being tilted too far forward and too far back causes bump steer. I know I'm no technician but that's how I see it. My 2000 was bump-steering bad so I made some shims (I have a 3.5" lift and stock LCA's). I first tried 1/4" shims but it made the steering wander and wobble over bumps. Then I tried 1/8" and it was just right. I learned how to do this on this site (I just did all this today) http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/

With larger tires that have more flex in the sidewalls, you will find that running a bit more toe in really helps. I set mine with a tape measure. On 35's I set the front of the tires to be .125"-.25" closer than the rear of the tires. I haven't done a on the rack alignment in 6 years. A tape measure is all you need.

Back