• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing badges?

Intestinal Rott

NAXJA Forum User
I want to remove some of the plastic badging on my XJ. I have removed tons of stickers before but never plastic kind. Any hints on getting them off? Do i just pop them off then use some goo gone to get the goobers off?

Thanks

whoa....

i was going to post the same thing today. consider this a free bump!

i thought the badging on the cars was metal? i *know* the "JEEP" emblem at the front my '89 XJ is definetely metal (some sort of alloy). i was tired of the gold kit look so i sanded down the tops of the letters this past weekend to reveal brushed metal.

i was thinking about removing the badges from the sides and rear (4x4, cherokee), so i'd be interested in finding out how to remove them as well.

dental floss perhaps?

Most of the badging you can get popped off with a piano wire, guitar string, welding wire, etc. Slip the wire behind the edge and saw it back and forth thru the adhesive that holds it on. IIRC some models have locating pins on the back of the letters J E E P on the front, so work around those if ya got em.

Mike

i you want to save the badge and don't care about the paint, use a razor to loosen the glue.

if you want to save the paint i use two methods, first is to slide a credit card, drivers liscense etc. under the edge of the emblem, then pull out on the top untill it comes off. the plastic card will keep the opposing edge from digging into the paint.
or use the wire method, by sawing the wire through the adhesive.
either way works best when the glue is warm...

The sort of soft plastic badges and the stick-on lettering can be removed very easily by using a hair dryer to heat it up. This will loosen the glue. Then they just peel off. A little bit of acetone will remove any residual glue.

Back