• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

surging after startup

lapisxj

NAXJA Forum User
After I crank up our 96 xj in the morning it sits there and surges in idle. It clears up after several minutes and won't do it later in the day. What should I look at doing first? (clean injectors, throttle body, plugs?) Thanx

My 96 was doing that for a few months, only occasionally at startup. It acctually rocked the car pretty good, couldn't find anyone with an experience with this. I have since replaced no electronics but the alternator and it has all stopped. Not that I think this is the problem but the alternator was $109 for a new one with a lifetime warranty. Just my experience.

You did not say how many miles on your XJ but I'd consider cleaning the throttle body first. Sounds like a dirty Idle air contoller.I have a tech at Madison Square Jeep I use for that. After he is done he gives it a full check with the test set to make sure all the engine sensors are working correctly. All of that costs me 1.0 hour of labor at my dealer for my 88 XJ.

Also check your owner's manual, get your vehicle back on scheduled maintenance if you have not been following it all this time. I get my cap, rotor, wires and spark plugs at the dealer. They are competively priced and have been through the Chrysler quality control system. Dealer parts "have to" work by federal law, aftermarket parts are intended to work but there is no law requiring them to work.

Shoot me a private message and I'll tell you who to go see at Madison Square Jeep in Huntsville

Last edited:
nice props for factory parts. they may be a little higher in price but repairing the car once is cheaper than buying the competitors products to fix the problem again at a later date. it is always more convient to do it properly the first time. any ways it sounds like the iac motor could be hanging up also

Good to see another Huntsville local... We replaced the alternator a few months back so that isn't it. Cleaning the throttle body is probably a good place to start. It is an intermetent problem so it is hard to pinpoint sometimes...

the Idle Air Controller (IAC) has a stepper motor to move the plunger in and out of the opening in the throttle body. So it is an electrical motor which detemrines how open or closed it should be for proper operation.

Back