• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C-Clip Eliminators?

STL Enterprises

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I'm new to the XJ world - Been driving a highly modified CJ-7 (V8, NV4500, 4.11 gearing, 4:1 D300) for 12 years. Of course, I deluded myself into thinking I'd just leave the XJ stock, but after 10 days, that old familiar itch is starting to show!

I had Ford 9" w/ Detroits front & rear on my CJ, but am looking at the Explorer 8.8 for the XJ rear end. I see there is a recurring theme about the C-Clip, but no postings that I've found comment on the C-clip eliminators (Moser, Reider, etc.). Would that solve the issues with the 8.8? My intent is NOT HD off-roading with this vehicle, but one never knows the future :) At this point, I'd just like some larger tires (31" or 32"), and some sort of traction aid as both diffs are open.

Thanks
Larry

STL Enterprises said:
Hello, I'm new to the XJ world - Been driving a highly modified CJ-7 (V8, NV4500, 4.11 gearing, 4:1 D300) for 12 years. Of course, I deluded myself into thinking I'd just leave the XJ stock, but after 10 days, that old familiar itch is starting to show!

I had Ford 9" w/ Detroits front & rear on my CJ, but am looking at the Explorer 8.8 for the XJ rear end. I see there is a recurring theme about the C-Clip, but no postings that I've found comment on the C-clip eliminators (Moser, Reider, etc.). Would that solve the issues with the 8.8? My intent is NOT HD off-roading with this vehicle, but one never knows the future :) At this point, I'd just like some larger tires (31" or 32"), and some sort of traction aid as both diffs are open.

Thanks
Larry

Most run 35's with the 8.8. Carry a spare and your good. I would worry more about the axle tubes spinning or the clearance. Which both of these can be fixed with some fabrication.

STL Enterprises said:
I see there is a recurring theme about the C-Clip, but no postings that I've found comment on the C-clip eliminators (Moser, Reider, etc.). Would that solve the issues with the 8.8? My intent is NOT HD off-roading with this vehicle, but one never knows the future :) At this point, I'd just like some larger tires (31" or 32"), and some sort of traction aid as both diffs are open.

Thanks
Larry

Welcome to the board Larry,

The C-Clip was one of my concerns also, but I could'nt find hard evidence of failure either. The disc brakes alone are worth the pain of the swap IMO. with 32's the thing stops better than my wife's 99 Stratus.
The 8.8 came with 3.55, 3.73, and 4.10 gears along with Limited slips in some models. If $ is tight, get a similar geared 8.8 with LSD and save for a true locker.

One thing you didn't mention is what you currently have under the Jeep. The D35 is generally considered a turd, and the 8.25 (preferably 29 spline) is comparable in strength to the Dana 44

Try a search for Ford 8.8, there should be a lot of good info there.

Thanks for replies. I currently have an open Chrysler 8.25" in the rear, and a D30 in the front. I don't know much about the 8.25, and it was the disc brakes that got me looking at the 8.8.
Thanks again,
Larry

I see from your profile that the XJ is a '99, so you have the 29 spline 8.25. If you're just thinking 31's or 32's I'd just look into getting disc brakes for the 8.25, there's a few kits out there and you can piece one together using ZJ parts as well, whichever way you please.

The 8.25 is limited to 4.56 gears (I think), but again with your planed size that should be good (if you're an auto you have 3.55 stock manual has 3.07)

Sequoia

GSequoia said:
I see from your profile that the XJ is a '99, so you have the 29 spline 8.25. If you're just thinking 31's or 32's I'd just look into getting disc brakes for the 8.25, there's a few kits out there and you can piece one together using ZJ parts as well, whichever way you please.

The 8.25 is limited to 4.56 gears (I think), but again with your planed size that should be good (if you're an auto you have 3.55 stock manual has 3.07)

Sequoia

I agree, there is no reason to ditch the 8.25 for the tire sizes you have planned. 4.56's are low gears, but that's plenty. I don't see any problem with c-clips for your usage, and one great thing about the 8.25 is the axles are identical side to side, so you can just carry one spare.

With a ZJ disc conversion to the 8.25 and spare shaft, you'd have discs and spares for under $300, and that beats the hell out of modifying an 8.8 for 31" tires. If you look at specs, the 8.8 and 8.25 are pretty similar...an alloyed shafted 8.25 with discs is about as strong as an 8.8 spec-wise.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to be dragging around an 8.8 pig on 31" tires if I was rock crawling (I don't much like dragging around a 9" pig on 34's)...much better to take a hard look at the Toyota 8" if you want the best combination of strength and clearance for any tire 35" or under. The Toy 8" has an inch plus better clearance than an 8.8 and would be experience rated for the same size tires (37" probably the upper limit along with some common sense).

Nay

Back