• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best price on Crane covers?

vintagespeed

NAXJA Forum User
Where's the best price to get Crane diff covers? I need a 14B one.

-jb

sorry, I can't help with that specific question, but I do know they are very expensive. It would be easy and FAR cheaper to plate your cover or make a whole new one. I can't imagine paying that much money for a cover, my front D44 cover with just a piece of 1/4 by 2 inch strap welded to it takes the abuse very well, but if you have money to spend they do look like a quality product

I like the idea of a Crane cover for a D30 - supposedly carrier/case flex is what can kill D30s.

I don't think I'd bother with one for any larger axle.

Just my spin.

r@m

Root Moose said:
I like the idea of a Crane cover for a D30 - supposedly carrier/case flex is what can kill D30s.

Just my spin.

r@m

1. I don't think that's the only weakness that the 30 has.
2. I believe Crane covers are more designed to protect the ring and pinion from rocks and such than keeping the center section from flexing.
Billy

Root Moose said:

Just my spin.

r@m

A larger axle just means larger ring/pinion/locker to destroy, and I didn't build this thing for mall wheeling.

I have a pretty beefy cover on the front D44 that has a thick bolt ring and this works fine up front but I want to avoid peeling the rear cover off the diff. I shaved the 14B and shaved the cover smaller but I still managed to peel it a little away from the diff. The thick bolt ring would take a licking in the rear. :)

-jb

Check the vendor's forum on Pirate. I know Mad4wd and rudezuk carry them, dunno about prices though.

Ary

There is a guy on E-bay selling covers out of Indiana for $110.00 and he has a 14 Bolt cover that he is mashing down on with a backhoe and it is'nt crushing take a look E-bay Motors and then search (14 Bolt or GM 14 Bolt) I can't remember.

jgl4wdccherokee said:
There is a guy on E-bay selling covers out of Indiana for $110.00 and he has a 14 Bolt cover that he is mashing down on with a backhoe and it is'nt crushing take a look E-bay Motors and then search (14 Bolt or GM 14 Bolt) I can't remember.

I've got one of his covers on the front D44, Sean from BralinLaser (and GreatLakesOffroad). I like the cover & it's hellastout but in the rear I want something with a lower profile. The Crane has a ramp and all the bolts are recessed, nice.

-jb

Yeah, I put the BlueTorch on my rear 8.25 (had some problems getting it sealed) but I'm looking at the Crane for the front D30. I was considering it for the rear, but when i first shopped, Crane didn't make one for the 8.25 - "Coming soon..." (Yeah, me too... :greensmok )

So I bought the BT without revisiting the Crane, and after I got it, they started shipping. figures... May still get the Crane for the front.

With 31's and only going as high as 33's - it's still in the line of fire.

bburge

Go clear or go home.
P25575.JPG

Lucas said:
Go clear or go home.
P25575.JPG
I would totally run one of those if it was cheap! I emptied my front diff the other day just because I thought there was a very slim possibility I had gotten water in on Fordyce trail last weekend, and it would really suck to rust up the brand new ARB. Turns out there was no water, would have saved me the hassle if I had a clear cover. And they are pretty frickin strong, but I would still put a piece of 3/8" strap over the ring gear.

Lucas said:
Go clear or go home.

Um.......I'm gonna say NO. LOL. :sure:

-jb

JeepFreak21 said:
Shane (RudeZuk) is a good guy... although sometimes hard to get ahold of.
Billy

Yup, the couple of times I've talked to him he has been very helpful. Larry at Mad4wd has also gone out of his way to make me happy and his prices are generally hard to beat. I'd definately give him a call. BTW his screenname on Pirate is TJ Fan.

Ary

Back