• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homebrew lift kits

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, a friend of mine really wants to build his XJ up but is on a real tight budget (as a lot of us are)... I wanted to get some ideas together for him for lifting on a budget. I searched, but I was hoping to compile a good list of tricks and maybe how much lift they'll get ya.
Dakota leafs get you, what, 1.5"?
ZJ coils get you 1"?
Chevy lowering shackles get you... what?
Stock XJ coil isolators get you .5"
Thanks,
Billy

dakota leaves 4-4.5" lift, truckish ride, flexs good...
you "can" (i've seen it done, dont know how good it is long term.) stack spacers in the front...1.75 x 2= 3.5 (or make your own)

Well if you have any machinest buddies or acess to a machine shop its pretty easy. Make your self alum 2" lifting blocks (I'll go measure mine if you want dimesions, there exactly like pro comp ones but for cost of aluminum.)
Next make yourself some 2" coil spacers ( 6" aluminum shaft turned down to proper size & machine some bevels, I coppied Procomps again but made them bigger.
Find some ZJ springs from wrecker, go & buy procomp rear leaf springs $100 each(2-2.5" of lift). go to truck & trailer place & buy some U -bolts.
Aluminum material cost $ 60 approx
U-bolts $ 20
leafs $ 200
ZJ springs $ 100 pair
For approx 350 -$400 your good for 3-4 inches of lift, You probably need to buy a longer shock, & control arms, but you can also build control arms for cheap too. If yuo just look around on the forums you can usually find used lifts for cheap too. I found one (6")on eco.ab.ca for $700 canadian . Anyways that's my Canadian 2cents , which is like -$1.00 american :looney:

how much lift you looking for?

as mentioned, Dakota, S-10 or MJ leaves, MJ or Chevy shackle (1/2"), Chevy lowering shackle (2 inches, but a lot of stress on the mount), ZJ coils, coil spacers and/or homemade spacers, build your own LCAs..... etc

BrettM said:
how much lift you looking for?

as mentioned, Dakota, S-10 or MJ leaves, MJ or Chevy shackle (1/2"), Chevy lowering shackle (2 inches, but a lot of stress on the mount), ZJ coils, coil spacers and/or homemade spacers, build your own LCAs..... etc

I'm just trying to get some ideas. He doesn't know how much lift he wants, basically his wallet sets the limit :D
How much lift do you get from the s10 and mj leaves? I thought mj leaves were just longer :confused:
Thanks,
Billy

SVT said:
Well if you have any machinest buddies or acess to a machine shop its pretty easy. Make your self alum 2" lifting blocks (I'll go measure mine if you want dimesions, there exactly like pro comp ones but for cost of aluminum.)
Next make yourself some 2" coil spacers ( 6" aluminum shaft turned down to proper size & machine some bevels, I coppied Procomps again but made them bigger.
Find some ZJ springs from wrecker, go & buy procomp rear leaf springs $100 each(2-2.5" of lift). go to truck & trailer place & buy some U -bolts.
Aluminum material cost $ 60 approx
U-bolts $ 20
leafs $ 200
ZJ springs $ 100 pair
For approx 350 -$400 your good for 3-4 inches of lift, You probably need to buy a longer shock, & control arms, but you can also build control arms for cheap too. If yuo just look around on the forums you can usually find used lifts for cheap too. I found one (6")on eco.ab.ca for $700 canadian . Anyways that's my Canadian 2cents , which is like -$1.00 american :looney:

If thats cheap I must have got lucky. I bought name brand crap and only have about $200 in my 5" lift. :clap:

JeepFreak21 said:
I'm just trying to get some ideas. He doesn't know how much lift he wants, basically his wallet sets the limit :D
How much lift do you get from the s10 and mj leaves? I thought mj leaves were just longer :confused:
Thanks,
Billy

MJ leaves are 5" longer, but the MJ springs have a lot more arch because the springs run under the axle on the MJ. Dakota leaves -- this refers to the EARLY Dakotas, which were also spring-under. If you leave the XJ main leaf in place and replace ALL the other leaves with everything from the Dakota except the main, you should get around 4". You can also chop the eyes off the Dakota main leaf and use that as an additional leaf. (Cut, do not torch. The heat will detemper the spring.)

ZJ coils == remember, the ZJ came as a 6 and a V-8, and had either a stock suspension or Up Country. What you're looking for is ZJ V-8 Up Country coils. 6-cyl ZJ coils won''t help you.

Last edited:
JeepFreak21 said:
Thanks,
Billy
okay, then what's his budget, including tires, wheels, skids, towpoints? and is he gonna actually wheel it that he will want gears, lockers, and ditch the D35?

pretty much any truck with SUA and 2.5" wide springs will lift an XJ, Dakota springs are nice because several people have already done it so it won't take a whole lot of guess and check with the springs.

JeepFreak21 said:
Hey, is there any reason why boxing the shackle hanger and dropping the shackle would be a bad idea with little to no lift?
Billy

No. Well, no, and yes. By lowering the shackle (or using a longer shackle for that matter) you will be raising the rear axle's pinion angle. This can cause driveline vibrations.

Jared:patriot:

I have S-10 springs in mine. I bobbed the eyes off the main leafs and put the whole pack including the overload under the XJ main. I ditched all the rest of the crappy stock leafs. I have exactly 3.5" lift over stock (20.5" hub to flare) with stock shackles. When empty it rides firmer than stock, but better than a Rusty's 3" rig that I rode in. While towing my tent trailer, it rides better than stock. I was originally cruising the boneyard for Dakota springs, but found these from a truck with the higher GVWR package so I grabbed 'em. I like this set-up and I doubt that I will change it.

RKBA said:
I have S-10 springs in mine. I bobbed the eyes off the main leafs and put the whole pack including the overload under the XJ main. I ditched all the rest of the crappy stock leafs. I have exactly 3.5" lift over stock (20.5" hub to flare) with stock shackles. When empty it rides firmer than stock, but better than a Rusty's 3" rig that I rode in. While towing my tent trailer, it rides better than stock. I was originally cruising the boneyard for Dakota springs, but found these from a truck with the higher GVWR package so I grabbed 'em. I like this set-up and I doubt that I will change it.

What do you have in front? And what size tires are you running? Stock CA's?
Thanks,
Billy

Hey Bill,

I have a set of Rusty's 3" front springs and a .75 poly spacer (minus the stock coil spacer). My front ride height is 21" hub to flare like that, so it is also exactly 3.5" over stock. I have stock control arms, and BFG AT 31s on 15X8 Canyon wheels. I just switched from YJ Monroe Gas Matics to Rancho shocks on the front (RS5017 IIRC), and am currently using Skyjacker Hydros on the back. It sits and rides where I like it now, and handles my loaded trailer tongue well so I will probably stop fooling with it for a while.
My Jeep's off road assignments are typically for hunting/fishing/back country camping duty so I am not set up as "hard-core" as others may be. My concerns for the rear favored cargo capacity and ride height over super sexy flex. That's not to say that my XJ is a street rig or anything. Most of my friends have full size trucks, and they are usually astounded at how much more capable my XJ is of getting really off the beaten path. A couple of old cowboys I hunted with in Eastern WA last year went XJ shopping after we used my truck for the season!

Back