• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Show me your trimming!!

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for pics of trimmed stock flares and front fenders on pre-97 XJ's. Did a search but didn't find what i am looking for. Help me out.

96XJCLASSIC said:
I am looking for pics of trimmed stock flares and front fenders on pre-97 XJ's. Did a search but didn't find what i am looking for. Help me out.

Freshly trimmed...

IM000547.jpg

with stock flares...

IM000582.jpg

sorry for the big pics

shannon, thats exactly what i want to do with my stock fenders, do u have a write up on how u did that or can u just tell me the steps to that??? I trimmed my front fender by the bumper guard so front 33's didnt rub i was borrowing from a friend. I used a sawzall and then smoothed it out witha grinder... but it still didnt turn out as good as i hoped.

dellstopjeep said:
shannon, thats exactly what i want to do with my stock fenders, do u have a write up on how u did that or can u just tell me the steps to that??? I trimmed my front fender by the bumper guard so front 33's didnt rub i was borrowing from a friend. I used a sawzall and then smoothed it out witha grinder... but it still didnt turn out as good as i hoped.

Here are a few questions to ask your self...

What do you have for bumpstops?
How high up did you trim? Front and Back.
Where are you rubbing?

Then we can tell you what to do. Do you have any pics it may help.

Shanbo44, I like your flair set up alot. How did you get the stock flairs back on after you trimmed the fenders, it looks asthough you cut the stock holes out...

Any write up? I'm interested in learning more

mission-inc said:
Shanbo44, I like your flair set up alot. How did you get the stock flairs back on after you trimmed the fenders, it looks asthough you cut the stock holes out...

Any write up? I'm interested in learning more

Sorry, no write ups. But I may do one now.If you are really concerned with looks then you may not like the way I did it.

For tools I used a $40 airbody saw that cut it like butter, grinder and some snips to get the odd angles.

As far as the stock flares, I did cut the stock holes off, but I left about 1/2 and inch right below the bodyline. Then I took all the metal crap off the flares and used self tapping screws to hold them in. The screws hold just as good as the stock setup did. The only problem I have run into is in the rear I scrapped a wall and it sheared the head of the bolt off, but all you have to do is put a new one in.

The self tapping bolt goes into the flair from the inside of the fender or visa versa? I don't really care about looks, but for some reason that looks good. Great job on it! :cheers:

mission-inc said:
The self tapping bolt goes into the flair from the inside of the fender or visa versa? I don't really care about looks, but for some reason that looks good. Great job on it! :cheers:

Actually I went straight through the flare from the outside and into the fender, then grinded down the bolts on the inside of the fender wells. If you look carefully you can see the bolts on the flares.

and thanks, theres nothing better the cutting, grinding and welding on the junk!

it is partially for looks, but yours looks damn good!!!
for street rub... i rub on the front and rear of the front fenders. i cut the front and theres no rub, but when swaybars are disconnected and im wheelin it will rub like no other still. (the rear of the fenders rub at and a little before a full steering lock). the rears dont rub obviously but they will to when wheelin. sawzall will do the trick it just isnt a straight cut and looks like crap. but if i re attach the flares with just the plastic and cut out half of the rear to mount the rear flare on the door it will cover it up.
what did u do for the rear pinch seam thats welded? If i cut threw that whats a good idea for filling the whole?
sorry for stealing the thread!!!

trimmed fenders on my 98 -------------

myjeepyes.jpg

used the jeepin.com writeup

Starboard M said:
shizza, looks like you need to cut more. Here is what I did. Now I run with out flares. http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=150872169

That link won't let me in...I think you need to use a different link for us to be able to access your albums.

My link for outside users looks like this:

http://community.webshots.com/user/sports_guy

There's all kinds of Jeep pics and other event pics in there, if anyone's interested.

dellstopjeep said:
it is partially for looks, but yours looks damn good!!!
for street rub... i rub on the front and rear of the front fenders. i cut the front and theres no rub, but when swaybars are disconnected and im wheelin it will rub like no other still. (the rear of the fenders rub at and a little before a full steering lock). the rears dont rub obviously but they will to when wheelin. sawzall will do the trick it just isnt a straight cut and looks like crap. but if i re attach the flares with just the plastic and cut out half of the rear to mount the rear flare on the door it will cover it up.
what did u do for the rear pinch seam thats welded? If i cut threw that whats a good idea for filling the whole?
sorry for stealing the thread!!!

What is your backspacing? and width of the 33's you are running? That could be your problem. I am at 3.75 and 32x11.50.

On the rear fender don't remove the pinch seam just make a cut every inch and then hammer it back. Tha should do the trick.

39.5 Boggers, approx. 12" lift and no bumpstops

agw.jpg

Folded and hammered the rear pinch seam flat and cut a lot in the front. TJ flares on all 4 corners

aqz.jpg

Another one and a poser shot

avj.jpg

Last edited:
sportsguy said:
That link won't let me in...I think you need to use a different link for us to be able to access your albums.

My link for outside users looks like this:

http://community.webshots.com/user/sports_guy

There's all kinds of Jeep pics and other event pics in there, if anyone's interested.
Ah, I see. I'm new to web pics and stuff. OK, so, here it is. Click on fenders. Mine is a '89 with 32's on 4.5'' of lift.

Back