• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 xj q's

tbear

NAXJA Forum User
01 xj i6 auto , driving down the road the airbag light comes on,then the gauges freeze , then the engine light comes on. drive a little further and the electric odemeter says no b u 5. i kept on driving and all cleared up and nothing happens done it a couple of times now. dont have a clue as what to look for. thanks for any opinions.

almost sounds to me like something is grounding out, causing your guages to go all wackyassed. i could be wrong tho..

Kris

What kind of shape is your battery in? My wife's 01 Grand exhibited similar symptoms this past weekend. I looked under the hood, and noticed that three of the battery cells were low on water, and found a small crack in the battery at the negative post. I replaced the battery and all is now well.

It is also possible that you are suffering from ghosts of the past. 98 and 99's had a problem with the connectors in the back of the instrument cluster. The dealer fix is to remove the cluster, replace the selfdocking connectors and give you a $210 bill. My fix was to remove the cluster, clean the connectors, tweak the pins *ever so slightly, hardly visible to the eye* and plug it back in again, takes about 20 minutes and you need to disconnect the battery and let the system discharge for 20 min for the airbag stuff just to be safe before working on it.
It is possible that budtx has something there too, with all the electronics in the vehicles now a solid source voltage has got be a major player, though original OEM battery in my 98 lasted and was still OK when I replaced it last fall with a red top it was still stretching it some. The only reason I replaced mine was because I did not want to deal with it in the winter time so I bought what I consider the best battery out there for the money.

the no bus means the cluster didnt see an input from the air bag controller.thus turning the air bag light on. the problem is a bad connection at the cluster connector. if you remove the cluster you will see two connectors. it is the one on the right. you can get a new connector from the dealer, not expensive. just cut uot the old wires from the original connector and SOLDER them to the new connector. don right this is THE guaranteed rapair. removing the cluster to clean connections may halp for a while, but you will have to remove it again eventually to replace the connector. might as well do it right the first time and never have to worry about that prob again

Back