• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Lights

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
Where are good places to install them besides on the front bumper? I was thinking of mounting my cheap Walmart square lights on the top part of my rear hatch. I have a 35" tire on an aftermarket carrier so I need to get them as high as possible to see. How many lights do alot of you off-roaders use? 2 on the front bumper, 1 or 2 for the rear and 1 on each side underneath for a total of 4-5 lights? Please post your responses, I'm trying to get all lite up for the Rubicon trip coming soon.
thanks...Troy

scottsxj said:
you could put them up on the rack, ive seen lots like that and they look good too

I thought about this, but my rig is has a 8" lift and my rack is mounted on top on my stock cross bars, so it is very high. I think I would constantly snag the light this high up. I think I might install them on the rear hatch on top, maybe in the rear hatch itself? The hatch is fiberglass so it would be pretty easy to cut it out and mount the lights flush in there. I have the Walmart square ones for the back.
Troy

BrettM said:
up on the rack are nice for setting up camp and blinding tail-gatin ricers, I had some when I had an XJ. but they hardly work as ROCK lights, rock lights need to be underneath or in the fenders.

Yeah, I could blast those ricers with my lights when they crowd me. :twak:
That's a good 1 Brett. :guitar: I thought keeping the lights up high would enable me to light up the whole area behind and in front of my jeep when wheeling at night. Would 2 front (bumper) & 2 rear lights (mounted on top of rear hatch/swingout bumper, etc) be good along with some lights on each tire? Would you even bother with a rear light or just stick um in the fenders on each tire?
Troy

JeepFreak21 said:

I've seen those Billy, thanks though. I still have the 2 round lights I got from you and I'm wondering where to put them? I have 2 nice holes in my aftermarket winch bumper for them so that would be a logical place for them. I also have a pair of small square 1's from Walmart that I want to mount in the back, maybe on top of my rear tailgate pointing down or out. I'm looking to get 1 more Walmart pair of square lights and mount them in the front inner fender like you have them. Would small square lights work good mounted in the rear wheel wells? I think I might crush them. I do have plenty of clearance though with 7" lift on 35" with generous fender hacking though, so I might be fine.
Troy

Thanks for the feedback Brett & Billy. I'll try to keep my lights mounted low & point them at the tires.
Troy

you don't need to cover a lot of area, just the are underneath the jeep right by you. headlights or foglights in the front or rear do nothing when you are on top of a rock and can't even see it underneath your driver door.
lights that spread out fast are nice too.

i saw a comanche with lights on his steering knuckles up front... cool idea i think!!!

xj_punk said:
you don't need to cover a lot of area, just the are underneath the jeep right by you. headlights or foglights in the front or rear do nothing when you are on top of a rock and can't even see it underneath your driver door.
lights that spread out fast are nice too.

i saw a comanche with lights on his steering knuckles up front... cool idea i think!!!

Thanks for the advice. I think that I could tuck them behind my rockers. I have ORGS style rock sliders that I could probably protect the lights behind.
Troy

Three words:

Neon glow tubes.

CRASH

Or strip lights using those mini lights that seem to be cropping up at all the home stores. Make em yourself with either 12V lights in a clear PVC tube or the new white LED's in the same tube...

RichP said:
Or strip lights using those mini lights that seem to be cropping up at all the home stores. Make em yourself with either 12V lights in a clear PVC tube or the new white LED's in the same tube...

laterlight.jpg

Back