• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB wiring

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
I had a question on wiring up the red-yellow wire to my ignition. Where do tap into? Should I get the ignition wire from the fuse box by the brake pedal or can I get it from the TCU, or somewhere else? I was planning on doing the "1-2" gear mod and torque converter lockout mod at the TCU, so I could hook it up there. I'm just running 1 arb for my front dana 30. I have a dana 44 rear with a detroit locker. Also, do I wire the blue-white wire to the dash illumination wire? Does anyone know where that wire is as well? Please advise. I think I have everything else hooked up correctly. I have a 91' 4.0L aw4 auto xj. thanks...Troy

I run the one ARB as well with the ARB compressor. I didn't hook into the dash lights or the ignition. For the simple reason I couldn't find them. The light on the switches comes when only when turned on with my set up. I don't like the blue light being on with the dash lights. So you don't have to wire it that way, just run the switch, ground/power, and your done. Juice

juicexj24 said:
I run the one ARB as well with the ARB compressor. I didn't hook into the dash lights or the ignition. For the simple reason I couldn't find them. The light on the switches comes when only when turned on with my set up. I don't like the blue light being on with the dash lights. So you don't have to wire it that way, just run the switch, ground/power, and your done. Juice

Then I must have done something wrong because I switched the switches and got nothing. I hooked everything up to my yellow top Optima with marine terminals. I'll try checking the wiring again to make sure I got it right. What do you do with the #2 switch stuff if you don't have a rear air locker/2nd air locker? Should I have wired my switches to the #2 switch? I know that with 2 lockers that you have to activate the compressor, than the rear locker, then the front locker. I like the fact of having a front arb, but the wiring is a bit of a pain. So you mean you got your arb to work without hooking up the ignition or illumination wiring? I though that was possible. So the comp switch & front locker switch will only light when I switch them on? So I don't need to hook up the ignition or illumination wiring to do that?
Thanks for info.
Troy

Well for the front switch I just zip tied it up under the dash. Did you make sure you are wired up for the front switch with the right wires. I have done two compressor wiring kits and one was marked and the other wasn't. I'd try that first. I did run the compressor to the Optima like you have done. But I guess I wasn't clue on the ignition part. I just wired that into the acc. part of the fuse block on my 88'. So I can run the compressor with the key in the off position. The good thing about not having the light is they're not on all the time. I think the blue lights of the switches is a little bit much for me.
If you have the switch wired right, make sure it's wired right to the selenoid at the compressor. I believe the they are green and red wires if I remember right. I'll go out and check my set up if you don't get it. Let me know. Juice

juicexj24 said:
Well for the front switch I just zip tied it up under the dash. Did you make sure you are wired up for the front switch with the right wires. I have done two compressor wiring kits and one was marked and the other wasn't. I'd try that first. I did run the compressor to the Optima like you have done. But I guess I wasn't clue on the ignition part. I just wired that into the acc. part of the fuse block on my 88'. So I can run the compressor with the key in the off position. The good thing about not having the light is they're not on all the time. I think the blue lights of the switches is a little bit much for me.
If you have the switch wired right, make sure it's wired right to the selenoid at the compressor. I believe the they are green and red wires if I remember right. I'll go out and check my set up if you don't get it. Let me know. Juice

Thanks Juice. I'll check it out tomorrow after work. I appreciate your help. I know I see a switch #1 & 2. I have the #1 switch wired up, since the rear has to be activated before the front, if you have dual lockers, than should I have wired switch #2, or does it really matter? I thought the #1 & #2 switches were generic if only 1 locker is used? I'll have to check it out. Thanks again..Troy

i just wired mine over the weekend...

you don't need to use the blue wire; as has been mentioned, it just lights the switches when your dash lights are on (not for me either).

use switch 1 if you're using the standard harness setup (make sure you're also using the proper solenoid on the compressor). run the red/yellow anywhere there is power from the ignition (i tapped into the switched aux power circuit behind the dash).

MMIXJ said:
i just wired mine over the weekend...

you don't need to use the blue wire; as has been mentioned, it just lights the switches when your dash lights are on (not for me either).

use switch 1 if you're using the standard harness setup (make sure you're also using the proper solenoid on the compressor). run the red/yellow anywhere there is power from the ignition (i tapped into the switched aux power circuit behind the dash).

I'm looking to do the "1-2" gear mod, so could I tap into the TCU ignition wire? So I do need to hook the ignition wire to get this thing to work right? I'll take a look at my Hanes manual tomorrow afterwork and try to find the ignition wire. Where is the aux power circuit, on the passenger side by the TCU?
Troy

I have a red/white wire that I plugged into the comp with the black wire, that hook up to the red & black wire of the compressor. I haven't been able to find a red/white wire on the wiring diagram, maybe that is throwing me off? :dunno: This thing is really turning into a pain, it is very straight forward except where to hack into the ignition, everything else just plugs in. I spliced into the ignition connection red/yellow wire a few inches off of the wires that were coming out of my ignition coil. I used a clean wire splicer so it should have worked. I picked up my 12V 5 prong relay from an auto store, I don't know what else I'm missing here? :dunno:
Troy

you plugged into the ignition coil? I don't know ARB wiring at all, but when it says ignition, it might mean something that is powered only when the key is in the "Ign" position, like the radio. there are also spots on the fuse-box labeled as such.

I just wired mine . I went to a stereo shop they gave me a print out of the wiring behind the radio. that is where i hooked in. all the wires are there. made the job simple. other than pulling the stereo.

Back