• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sloppy or Loose Drivetrain

Googenheimer

NAXJA Forum User
What would make my drivetrain feel loose or sloppy. It seems like there is a little too much play in it. My '94 XJ feels nice and tight no problems, but my '88 feels like the drivetrain takes a split second to catch up with the motor, say as I decelerate. I'll let off the motor and then a moment later feel the drivetrain sort of catch. It just feel like the gears aren't meshing as tight as they should or something. I also noticed that when in 4Low in a tight turn it seems to buck back and forth a bit like the front and back are catching at different times because of slop. Any suggestions on where to start?

Hey good idea. I noticed that the motor mounts don't look to swell, but didn't occur to me that that could be it till you said something. Thanks. I guess hundreds of heads are better than one.

Back