• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best tire option for trail

What tire?

• TSl 36x12.5 (NOT SX)

Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Goodyear MT/R 37x12.5

Votes: 55 38.5%
  • TSL Q78 (35.5x10.5)

Votes: 19 13.3%
  • Some 35"er

Votes: 43 30.1%

• Total voters

gearwhine

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I have a few options, and a few things I am looking into. I want to keep the dana 30 for quite a while as I have no extra money, but want to move up from my 33" AT.

My three main choices are TSL Q78 (35.5x10.5), TSL 36x12.5, and MT/R 37x12.5. I like wider tires so the q78 is a hard choice for me, but it has the height I need and from what I can tell, much less weight than 36 TSL. The MT/R is with .2" of the 36 TSL, and I'm expecting much less weight with it being a radial, and maybe lighter than the Q78. I know the MT/R's are around 170-180 lbs each

So, pretty much considering the dana 30...I know, there is a running post on 36"+ on the dana going now, but its not on tire choice, What would you choose?

I've got 5.5" of lift, with TJ flares, and will be trimming more...not going any higher. I have 4.56 gears and a tera low, so I'm expecting it to still have a decent crawl with these tires. If the axle had no effect on my choice I would go, (1) TSL 36 (2) Goodyear MT/R (3) Q78. I will be upgrading to full cirlce clip 760's before this point as well. Thanks for the opinions _nicko_

If you are at only 5.5" of lift and not going any higher, I can't see any tire over a 35" fitting up in the front inner fender well. I'm right around 6" of lift with 35's with around 5.5" of up travel at the shock. I couldn't fit any more tire at all without severe inner fender modifications. The outer fender is trimmed to fit TJ flares. You could fit 37's if you really limited the up travel but why?

I cut my fenders to the stock TJ flare location, but I can get another 2-3" radius off of each of them by cutting the mounting off and riveting them on, and I think that is plenty to fit 37's decently. I think the larger tires will be more of an advantage than a loss of 1-2" of compression. I definitely am not going even 1" lager in lift in any future I see, but tires are a different story.

The outer fender you can cut as much as you want. The inner fender is what will give you trouble. I rub the metal above the coil mount, the front inner fender where the battery is located, and the rear of the fender. This is with 3.75" of backspacing on 8" wide rims. I pounded the pinch seam on the rear of the fender back with a bfh so that it didn't cut my tires. I would think that you would have to limit travel more than 1 to 2" because a 37" couldn't even begin to tuck up into the fenders when a 35" barely can.

gearwhine said:
I know the MT/R's are around 170-180 lbs each

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
HOLY CRAP MAN!!!
That's some serious weight!
:shiver: :shiver: :shiver: :shiver:
You sure that's accurate?!?!
Are they made out of iron or something?!?!
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

haha, jeez..I just looked at some website, forget which one, and read that, and it didn't even shoot through my mind. Thanks. I'll look more and try to find some real weights...just imagining 170 a tire now...stupid me. So I KNOW nothing.

Well 36x12.5 tsl is 64 lbs.

goodyear I can't find.

According to FedEx scales, my tires were 54lbs each. THey are 285/75 16s(33x11.50). Just to give you an idea. HTH, Peace

Ary

Go SX or walk home!

wanna see how many plugs I have in the sidewalls of my 36x12.50 TSLs? (no less than one PER TIRE)

If you're keepin the 30, go w/ q78s!

SIDEWALL STRENGTH IS GOD! All the traction in the world doesn't help you if you can't keep the air INSIDE the tires ;)

i say go Pro Comp XTerrains. the 35x12.50x15 is a greatly balanced tire size. the XTs have great sidewall protection(i think at least 3 plys), and the tread is like 5 plys(i think). the tire only has 1 downfall. it is a directional. other than that it imho outperforms pretty much any tire i have ever seen anyone use. the only ones i would take over it(depending on conditions), would be: for rock: krawler, for mud: bogger.

But, for just an overall trail tire with some rock and some mud this tire is just awesome.

I love how no one noticed that this thread is over a year old.... :cool:

-Scott

yeah really...I don't even care anymore :), thanks for bringing it back up cheap...loser...I am still on the tires I have been for over 3 years, and still loving them.

hey shit it was at the top. i dont give a shit if its a year old. other people may want the info. if its at the top and i have info to give i give it. nuff said

WTF a year old should be time for some new tires anyway. :laugh2:

Re: Best tire option for trail

I love how no one noticed that this thread is over a year old....

-Scott

MuddinXJ said:
hey shit it was at the top. i dont give a shit if its a year old. other people may want the info. if its at the top and i have info to give i give it. nuff said

calm down there buddy, it's not like I was pissed or anything.

I didn't get new tires last year if you were asking me mgt. I've been on 33" BFG at's for a good three years now.

a nobby tire like a swamper will be more abusive on your axles. but if they are the tire you need for your terrain, go for it.
mtr's are sweet tires, but they are not much in wet stuff imo.

i guess it depends on your terrain

personally i'd go with BFG A/T or M/T.......we run goodyear on our humvees, and they arent worth a crap. just my .03

apples and oranges...

I'd trade my TSL's in on a set of MTR's if someone would take them. I went with the TSL's because they are cheap, they do well offroad, and they were not going on my daily driver.

I have yet to hear anyone complain about an MTR (except maybe the price), unlike a lot of other tires. The procomp Xterrians happen to pop into my mind when I think of a hated tire. I'm sure Bill Burge or Mike Rollins will comment on how much they love their Xterrians. I have yet to talk to someone who owned a set and enjoyed them.

So yea....if anyone wants to trade me a set of 37" MTR's for my 33" TSL's just PM me. (I wont be holding my breath)

-Scott

I fit 36's on 4.5 inches of lift.

The 30 held up damn good but I didn't have the gearing some of you might.
Iroks are a good choice due to their light weight.

Yes I read the whole thread, I just figured I'd throw in some good information for future searches.

Back