• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 or Ford Explorer 8.8

GAdawg

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I have been searching for a D44 to replace my worn out 35. I am hearing from people that an Ford Explorer 8.8 will go under the XJ and all you have to modify is the spring plate locations. Is the 8.8 a better option or am I getting into a bigger mess? Thanks

depends on $$$

I did a 44 cause I wanted a dana axle. I almost bought an 8.8 but for me it was a diff. of whether I wanted to spend the money on part and labor for a rear disc conversion or on spring conversion...

i chose disc conversion. probably same cost in the end.

can't really go wrong with either as long as the 8.8 is 31 spline and has disc brakes. gearing shouldn't matter cause if your upgrading axles you probably need to be at least down to 4.56's.

If you have some fab skills, then I would suggest the 8.8 I tried for about 3 months to locate a GOOD D44 reasonably priced before finally going 8.8

So glad I did, the brakes alone are worth the swap!

8.8 PROS
same bolt pattern
no carrier breaks
disc brakes standard
big beefy axles/tubes
fairly cheap (300 range)
easily available (how many millions?)

CONS

Fabbing required
C-Clips (debatable)
slightly narrower
limited locker choices (for now)

XJ D44 pros

BOLT IN
10 x 2.5" drums (Improvement over D35)
many parts lockers available

Cons
Carrier break to go to lower gears
getting harder to find
disc brake upgrade pricey

The thing to do on an 8.8 is to get the most complete axle you can (brakewise) so your out of pocket expenses are minimal. ensure that you get the adapter that mounts to the flange too, and don't let the yard cut off the brake lines at the axle. this will save a few extra bones

fab or buy some perches, adapt the brakelines, and voila! (well, it's not that easy, but if a moron like me can do it, anyone can)

try a search for ford 8.8, and you will get lots of hits.

good luck,

John

Final mod for the 8.8:

Weld the center section to the axle tubes if you are going to use a traction bar.

CRASH

I went with the 8.8, it was from a 1998 Exploder with 15Kmiles. It already had 4.10's, posi., and discs.....$350! ;) All I had to do was adapt the spring mounts. BTW, I run 31 x 10.5 tires on Canyon rims and they still cleared the rr springs by 1/2"+ ....WITHOUT spacers!
Weld the tubes to the pumpkin and you should have one very durable axle. ;)
BLUTO :wave1:

If you decide to go with the 8.8 MAKE SURE you get it with brake parts unlike I did. New calipers, rotors, and ebrake parts and cables added up quickly to way more money than I planned on spending on it. Also, I'd definately recommend a LockRight, I'm loving mine and its barely noticeable on the street. If I could have found a 44 that was in good shape I would've gone with that instead, but the availability of 8.8s and the cheaper price made it a more attractive solution for me.

The 8.8 is a great axle if for no other reason than the ridiculous prices that rear D44s bring. Honestly, you can get two or three 14 bolts or 60s for the price of a 44.

Anyhoo, the 8.8 is a nice axle. I ran one for awhile in my YJ (before I moved up to 60s) with 36-inch tires and it performed very well.
dion

try searching. this is the argument that fills pages

since i have rebuilt/gears several 8.8's i will donate here...

I have seen time and time again bearing failure with 8.8's. mainly the driverside carrier bearing. i have several outer races sitting on the shelf that have gone bad, ie pitting and scoring. even with 70 k miles. higher gearing and larger tires will put more stress on this bearing so just a work of caution against the 8.8.

while it is nice to have disc brakes. thats about the only plus in my opinion.

My vote has to go to the 44. Know a guy with a 8.8 in his YJ and has had nothing but trouble. Definitely weld the tubes to the center-section if you go with the 8.8. His twisted a couple times. If not for that, c-clips are enough reason for me to go with a 44. Have seen too many Jeeps leaving the trail with a log strapped to the outside of their tires keeping them pressed in after breaking a shaft (Dana 35s but same principle). I ran an MJ Dana 44 for a couple years with a detroit and 4.56s running 36" TSLs and wheeled it hard. The axle never flinched. Parts are much easier to find also. XJ/MJ 44s don't seem too hard to find in the $400 range (not that much more than a 8.8). The bigger brakes, even though drums, on the 44 are plenty. I never had problems stopping with 36s and drums. My $0.02.

My d44 with 36's and 3.54s started showing signs of pinion bearing failure very quickly. I still managed to see it for enough to purchase a D60 with 4.10s, a disc break set-up for it and all the hardware I need for the axle with the money from the D44. I know not everyone wants full widths, but it is something to think about.

I'm going with Waggy axles, I bought an entire 81 Wagoneer for $250 and got the Dana 44 and the AMC20 rear from it, gonna run maybe 35's-36's with 4.88's (lowest gears for AMC20) and truss the rear since the housing tends to flex, other than that a Waggy AMC20 is pretty stout (some say better or equal to a 44), and the XJ I am sure is lighter and doesn't have V-8 power behind it. It basically bolts right in, I think the spring perches are even the same distance apart.

Fryphax said:
My d44 with 36's and 3.54s started showing signs of pinion bearing failure ...

You ran 36's with 3.54's???? :eyes:

I love my 44. I'm running an ARB and 4.88's in it with 35's. I still have the 1987 drums on it and braking is about the only issue I have with it. Even that only poses a problem when going downhill for long periods of time with lots of brake pressure against the gravity and gearing/motor.

My buddy blew two 8.8 (31 spline) carriers and covers in his 87 Full size Bronco with a stock 351 Windsor / C6. Now he has an Eaton posi, new rear cover and a slightly warmed over 429 Thumder Jet / C6 with the same 3.55 gears. He also runs 35 inch BFG's with a very heavy right foot. I now have some faith in what I believed was a Mustang only rear end.

If you can find a xj dana 44 for under $350 or so and want an easy bolt in then go with that. If you like more of a challenge in install, but easy pickins and nice big rear disc brakes go with the ford 8.8 It is a c-clip, but you have to break the big 31 spline axle shaft 1st and with the rear discs, you will not lose your tire as you would a dana 35 or 8.25 with disc brakes that shed tires when they snap. I have a ford 8.8 in my wrangler and love the beast, it has nice 3.25" axle tubes, etc.

Back