• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions about what some things are on the build sheet Jeep sent me

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 Pioneer packaged XJ. I found the original build sheet in the driver side door panel. Stupidly I tossed it in the trash. Anyway, I had Jeep email me another one, and I have some questions about what somethings are.

Things listed on my build sheet:

ALP Propane Conversion Group - WTF is this?

DSA Axle - Anti-Spin Differential - Does "anti-spin" mean I have a LSD, or the "Trac-lock" rear end? Or is it just another name for a normal open differential?

Thanks

90Pioneer said:
I have a 1990 Pioneer packaged XJ. I found the original build sheet in the driver side door panel. Stupidly I tossed it in the trash. Anyway, I had Jeep email me another one, and I have some questions about what somethings are.

Things listed on my build sheet:

ALP Propane Conversion Group - WTF is this?

DSA Axle - Anti-Spin Differential - Does "anti-spin" mean I have a LSD, or the "Trac-lock" rear end? Or is it just another name for a normal open differential?

Thanks

Not a clue about the propane conversion group unless yours was maybe purchased orginally by a govt organization or utility company and has the plumbing for propane. I've seen various trucks, busses and cars that use propane around here and in NJ but not lately.

The quickest check is to jack up the rear, both tires off the ground and turn one, the other tire should go in the same direction. Thats provided the clutches are still good, additive is in there, etc. Most definitive way is to pull the cover and eyeball it. Thats also a good time to count your gears...

OK Rich, so explain that a little further, if your tires spin the same way what does that mean? What if they spin in the opposite direction (as mine do)?

Scott Williams said:
OK Rich, so explain that a little further, if your tires spin the same way what does that mean? What if they spin in the opposite direction (as mine do)?

opposite equals open carrier.

same way has some type of traction device.

89xj said:
opposite equals open carrier.

same way has some type of traction device.
Well with an xj that is as old the trac loc might be dead.... or again the code was reused (although I'd imagine this one stayed same through years)

Kejtar said:
My guess is that this build code got reused and doesn't apply to you as you're not running on propane :D

Even though I remember seeing in on the original build sheet that was in the door panel?

The Jeep has been owned privately since new.

90Pioneer said:
Even though I remember seeing in on the original build sheet that was in the door panel?

The Jeep has been owned privately since new.
hmm, maybe they did have some sort of a propane ready setup then.

buildsheets from about 94 and older can contain some oddball things that arent really on it just from the age of the vehicle and the fact that some codes mean different things now

Build sheets are FULL of mistakes. The one for my last XJ said it came with a 4.7L V8. :rolleyes:

In the early 80´s Dodge offered propane as an extra option. No idea what the kit contained, but it was only $365 at the time, kind of wished I´d ordered it, just out of curiosity. Just glanced at the write up, forget what motors were involved etc.
If they offered it as an option, there almost has to be something on it in the FSM.
ALP is an additive, that helps propane burn better.

Last edited:
ZmOz said:
Build sheets are FULL of mistakes. The one for my last XJ said it came with a 4.7L V8. :rolleyes:
I wonder if you could take that in to the dealer and insist they give you the engine you rate!? :dunce:

I had the same question about the anti-spin differential, so I sent some email to DC. This was their reply.

Dear Chuck,

Yes, anti-slip differential is the same as limited slip differential.
You can find a brief explanation in your Owner's Manual.

Cheers!

Back