• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 inch lift for my jeep cherokee

96blackxj

NAXJA Forum User
I've just recently aquired a 4 inch lift kit for my 96 jeep cherokee, but i need to get the control arms for the kit, and then i've now started to think about gettin 1 3/4 inch coil spacers, and 1 inch shackles to put on when i install my lift, i plan on going with 31x 10.50 r 15 tires when i get the lift on, i am wondering if anyone knows where i can get lower control arms for a good price, i dont want adjustable ones and also if anyone has advice about going with extra shackle and coil spacer lift, so if anyone has any input on anything involving installing this lift or what/ what not to do, please let me know, the help will be greatly appreciated!

Soak all your bolts a week before hand and every subsequent day with penetrating oil like Pb Blaster or Kano. Especially target your rear upper shock mounts. You will be happy later that you did this. Personally I think 4" is plenty for 31"s.

Since you can run 31s with a 2" budget boost, why do you want to do all the extra work just to run 31s?

IMO this will be a good combo, the thing no one considers is: You can put on bigger tires but is this vehicle a daily driver? If it is and you run 32's or 33's you will want to change the gearing so you don't have to run in 3rd gear on the E-way. 31's are just big enough that you can still run stock gears and it still makes the vehicle an afordable street/trail rig and is still very functional.
I run an RE 3.5in lift that realy measures out to about 4.25in of lift and I think another 2in of boost would make it look even better. I think you will be fine. Don't forget to spray every thing with a good rust penatrant every day about a week before you do the lift. Hit the brake line fittings at the splitter block on the rear axle and the upper rear shock mount bolts these have a tendance to twist off and then your PORKED!!!

Hey I also have a 96 Xj with 4.5 Rustys spring pack and i run 31's Biggest disapointment i have. I hate them, i have the BFG A/t And i'm now thing higher...I'm thinking about a BB from Daystar with some nice 3in shackles(anyone know 3inch shackles for XJ's and not the Revolvers-heard bad things)
Anyway guy, I would def go with 32 if you just have the lift, But if you go with the coil spring spacers and shackles i would try for some beefy 33's on the bad boy.
Oh ya, Before i go what kind of gas millage you people get?
I get 190-200 Miles per tank.

if your never going to want bigger than 31inch tires stick with 4 inches, if you want 32s or 33s, put the spacer in now. i have had, 3 inch lift with 31s, 5 inch lift with 33s(tires didn't clear well), and now 7 inches with 33s. believe me lifting all at once will save you time and money.
i get about 200-215 to a tank

One other main question is: Are you gonna wheel this rig? If you are,stay as low as you can to work with the tire/wheel combo you want to run. I'm currently running 33's on 4" of lift and the setup works extremely well! Trimmed out fenders and larger tires provide plenty of ground clearance with the stability of a lower center of gravity.

Back