• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Type

You could go as aggressive as Swamper TSL radial, MT Claw Radial etc. There is a pretty good radial selection now !!!!

with a tire iron and time as aggressive as you want, any tire will work on a XJ if you have the lift for it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
i second the dayton timberline mt. I have been running them on my daily driver in the 33x12.5 flavor for the past year and have nothing bad to say about them.

SSR is another choice, I love the grip on rocksand mud but the sidewalls kinda blow

how many miles are u guys getting out of the dayton timberline mts? i just got a set yesterday and was wondering how many to expect

kolby

If your willing to cough up a lot of change the new Toyo M/T's are getting all the good reviews right now. I want a set really bad, But I will have to wait on the price to drop. I know some compeditors that are sponsored by Toyo that claim these tires are out performing the BFG Crawlers that they where running. They are also said to be the quietest on road radial M/T on the market. Maxxis also is producing some incredible radial M/T's, but again the price is almost double what say a set of MTR's would cost you. The swamper tires are great if your jeep stays on trails 90% of the time. Swampers driven on the street seems like a big waste of money if you ask me. And as far as Pro Comps go, I will never own anothor set. Pro comp tires are cheap for a reson. I have a set on right now and I can't wait till I can afford to get them off !!!! :looney:

the maxxis tire you are reffering too is somewhat noisy on the road. just a little noisier than a M/T. the krawlers are a fricking awesome tire expecially when grooved. the M/TR's are an extremely well rock tire(wouldnt say so in mud because they clog with mud). also the new Toyo M/Ts are ok. i tested a set when i was test fitting 35s on my truck and they are actually pretty quiet. only thing i didnt like was the lug placement. but that was just me.

MuddinXJ said:
the maxxis tire you are reffering too is somewhat noisy on the road. just a little noisier than a M/T. the krawlers are a fricking awesome tire expecially when grooved. the M/TR's are an extremely well rock tire(wouldnt say so in mud because they clog with mud). also the new Toyo M/Ts are ok. i tested a set when i was test fitting 35s on my truck and they are actually pretty quiet. only thing i didnt like was the lug placement. but that was just me.

Everybody has a quiet MT out now. My Interco trxus MT's remain quieter than the BFG AT ko's they replaced after two years. Quiet is meaningless for your standard brand name MT.

I looked at the Toyo MT online (the "Open Country MT")...and it is yet another standard design MT with some variation to the center lugs. I can't imagine this mud tire is outperforming the new breed of rock tires.

BTW, the one issue not addressed yet is snow. Do you drive in the snow on/offroad? If so, take a very hard look at the trxus, which are outstanding snow tires and good in mud and rocks. The MTR has good ratings for snow, too. I've always found the more standard MT's to be a bit frightening on packed snow.

Nay

i like my 33x12.50 grabber mt's. They wear good and the tread is aggresive in the mud. I would cut them a bit but that would void the road hazzard warrenty, lol.

my XJ is not a DD i have had mine over a year maybe 10,000 mi on them wear is ok, but my front bumper tore chunks out of the tread.

2offroad- so how much tread is left after 10k? what are u expecting to get from them? what are they exeptional on? im hoping they are good on rock.

kolby

MuddinXJ said:
I was not refering to a Maxxis tire . I was refering to the Toyo mud.

lankchevy said:
2offroad- so how much tread is left after 10k? what are u expecting to get from them? what are they exeptional on? im hoping they are good on rock.

kolby
most likely 30,000/40,000 work good in mud and rocks the only bad thing is a street presure in sand they dig for China.

lankchevy said:
how many miles are u guys getting out of the dayton timberline mts? i just got a set yesterday and was wondering how many to expect

kolby

I expect quiet a few miles out of them. I have about 15000 miles on them and they barely show any wear. The tread is deeper than the mtr or bfg. I have been really impressed on how well they handle the rocks, I have wrapped the side wall around all sorts of rocks and have yet to put a mark on a side wall. But they aren't the greatest self cleaning mud tire.

I'm going with Nay on this one.The TrXus MT does GREAT on snow and holds its own just fine on the trail.They are very reasonably priced.I love my 33's and when I go up to 35's I'll get the TrXus again.
Jeff

Back