• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 power

REDXJ4FUN

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 2wd 2.5 mj and am already making plans to mod it. the 2 main questions i have are how useless is the fuel system on a 89 2.5 and second did they keep improving the intakes and heads as years went buy like they did on the 4.0?

The '89 has the throttle body injection, so it's better than the '84-'85 with the carb, and not as good (as in not as much power) as the 91+ with multi-port injection.

Don't know about the head design, never compared them.

The head on my old '85 motor appears to be identical to the head on my '95 motor except for the head bolt size and the mopar casting marks. At least there are no obvious differences such as the raised "eyebrows" on a HO 4.0 intake port. A 2.5 is one dern tuff lil motor, I run the stinkin' crap outta mine.

The mods I did to mine shaved a full 8 seconds off my 0-60 time...but most folks would say it is still turtle slow by modern standards...the upside is when it is in 4-Low and free to rev it holds it's own pretty good, but ya can't be afraid to stand on it and let it eat. Oh yeah...a rev limiter set to 6K is a good idea.

Back