• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Converter Problems

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
When ever I am driving arround 45 my torque converter cant make up its mind if it wants to be locked or unlocked. It just jumps back and forth probably twice a second. It does it when it is in "D" and when it is in "3". Would it be possibe just to disable it alltogether? I know I would get worse gas millage but I cant stand my car lurking back and forth when I drive. I have heard about a TC lock mod but you have to flip the switch whenever you want to slow down and stop. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do? Also how much would I be looking at to get it fixed? I just need somthing good to last me until the end of summer because then I will be selling the XJ to buy an MJ. Anyways please let me know what I can do.

BTW my jeep is a 92

Thanks
Chris

you might want to make sure you dont have a secondery ignition prob. check for corrosion under plug wires at the dist. cap. sometimes under slight load it is really a misfire seeming like a torque conv. prob. i have seen it before, also if the distributor has been removed and not installed exactly it can cause this too. just a suggestion

It really does it when I hit a bump in the road so I am understand checking the plugs. I havent had a tune up in a long time so I will look ingto that.

Definitely check connections if it happens when hitting bumps.

If I remember correctly removing the TC out of the equation will make your tranny run very hot.....certainly a very bad thing.

I also recommend adjusting the kick down cable (procedure in Haynes manual) and back probing the throttle position sensor to ensure it's working within the proper voltages (procedure in factory service manual...perhaps elsewhere too).

Tom

The throttle position sensor and its connector often is the cause of all kinds of eractic shifting etc on the aw4 tranny. Also check the ground wire on that connector many have had to slice in a separate ground wire to correct the bad ground signal thru the computer at that connector. Greg

Back