• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Bag light

juicexj24

NAXJA Forum User
My air bag light is coming on for no real reason at all. I hit a bump the other day and it came on and today it comes and goes while driving down the highway. Any ideas as to what causes this? Thanks 1999 XJ. Juice

98's and some 99's had a problem with the self docking connectors behind the gauge panel. Pull the panel, clean the pins and in my case I 'tweaked' them a bit so they were not so straight and made better contact. Don't bend em too much or they won't seat right and you may break one....
You problem is usually included with 'and all my gauges went to -0-, speedo quite and odometer stopped working'....

There is a airbag recall out on the newer XJ's. To see if it was done or not I would look under the drivers seat and see if there is a silver computer looking box. It's the airbag control module and it is suppsed to be moved under the center consol so water and dirt can't get inside it and ruin it. My XJ didn't have the recall done and the airbag light came on.

cleaning the instrument cluster connectors seldom works long term. if you are going to remove the cluster you might as well replace the connector, and make sure to solder the wires from the original harness to the new connector. there is a jeep t.s.b. that covers this problem. when you get the cluster out it will be the connector on the right, probably a green one. the parts arent too expensiveand any jeep dealer should have it in stock seeing that it is a common problem.

Back