• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auxiliary fan not working

the old hobo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 cherokee sport xj with up country pkg. It has a auxiliary fan that has quit coming on. It does not run when AC is on either. Does anyone know if there is a fuse or relay or both which control the fan?? Does anyone have a copy of a wiring diagram. Thanks in advance. Hobo

Last edited:
There is a relay in the power distribution center (fuse box under the hood). On the bottom of the cover there is a diagram that should indicate which one.

EDIT: There are also TWO fuses. One under the hood and one in the kickpanel. I am assuming yours is the same as mine (a 2000). I have to go run an errand right now. If noone has a 99 FSM to tell which ones exactly then I will look it up in my 2000 FSM and see if it helps.

I am finding out that it's not uncommon for these fans to quit working. My fan quit when I was out wheelin', so we found a toggle switch and hooked it to that. You might want to just do the toggle switch idea. That way you have more control of your aux fan. You just don't want to take the chance of it not kicking in. just my .02!!

As for the fuse location, I don't know. I have an 89 XJ.

Drewlee77 said:
There is a relay in the power distribution center (fuse box under the hood). On the bottom of the cover there is a diagram that should indicate which one.

EDIT: There are also TWO fuses. One under the hood and one in the kickpanel. I am assuming yours is the same as mine (a 2000). I have to go run an errand right now. If noone has a 99 FSM to tell which ones exactly then I will look it up in my 2000 FSM and see if it helps.
I know this is an old post...but it would be freakin' sweet if someone could tell me which fuse that is exactly.

('99 Cherokee, which fuse (under the hood) is for the aux. fan...or you could just post a diagram of all of the fuses for that box and it would be SWEET. [I don't have an owner's manual]).

Thanks!

-Jim

Also, if anyone has the manufacturer P/N or data sheet on the relay for the Aux fan, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!!!

Last edited:
PDC under the hood http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=912356

Most relays have inked on the bottom their symbolic layout.

and fuses in kick panel; '98 & '99 at bottom of list

2000 Inside Fuse Panel layout

01 – 25A Power Outlet
02 – 25A Cigar Lighter
03 – 10A Left Headlight
04 – 10A Left Headlight
05 – 10A Right Headlight
06 – 05A Dash Lights
07 – 10A Left Parking Lamps
08 – XX
09 – 10A Auto Unlock
10 – 15A Headlight Delay
11 – 20A Transmission Control
12 – 10A Defog Timer
13 – XX
14 – 10A Power Mirror
15 – 25A Passenger Power Locks
16 – 10A Right Headlight
17 – 15A Radio
18 – 10A Driver Power Locks
19 – 10A Clutch Interlock
20 – 15A Tow Connector
21 – 15A Horn
22 – 20A Rear Wiper
23 – 10A Right Parking Lamps
24 – XX
25 – 15A Heater
26 – 10A Air Bag Control
27 – 10A Air Bag Control

1998 - 1999 Inside Fuse Panel layout.

1 – 25A Power Outlet
2 – 25A Cigarette Lighter
3 – 10A Left High Beam
4 – 10A Left Low Beam
5 – 10A Right Low Beam
6 – 5A Instrument Panel Dimmer
7 – 10A Left Parking Light
8 – XX
9 – 10A Headlight Delay/Overhead Console Cluster
10 – XX
11 – 20A Run/Start Ignition, Daytime Running Lights
12 – 10A Rear Window Defrost, Turn Signal, Hazard Flasher
13 – XX
14 – 10A Heated Mirrors
15 – 25A Power Door Locks
16 – 10A Right High Beam
17 – 15A Radio
18 – XX
19 – 10A Starter Relay
20 – 10A Trailer Tow Package
21 – 15A Horn Relay
22 – 20A Rear Wiper
23 – 10A Right Parking Light
24 – XX
25 – 15A ABS, Climate Controls, Cooling Fan, Brake Switch
26 – 10A Airbag Control Module
27 – 10A Airbag Control Module

There is a rectangular box under the hood, you can not miss it, I have a 1999 xj, take off the top and printed on the inside is a list of the fuses and relays and what they are for.

There is a relay for the auX fan their.
There is also a temp sensor that tells the aux fan when to come on by the thermistat housing. It also send the temperature to the computer.

Jeff

Back