• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whether or not the tires will fit

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
i have spent countless hours reading about yes x amount of lift will clear x tire with x amount of trimming. conclusion:no one has the same results. i thought i would post a picture along with my ? and maybe this will help with my will it fit ?. i am running 3" lift with 4"bs wheels and 31x10.5, want to go to 33x12.5. going to add 1.5" lift. i have already trimmed and the pic is at full stuff in the rear. let me know what you think. i dont want to hear about gears or vibes, thats not an issue now. thanks for the replies

fourwheelin-023small.jpg

ok, how about a 33x10.50, still want more opinions though. i can always take more out of the front but thats about it for the back. kraziexj has 4.5" of lift with what looks like similar trimming and he clears them. but this is why i am asking before doing

It depends entirely on the up travel of your suspension. If you limit up travel they will probably clear. If you have shortish shocks that allow a lot of up travel in combination with higher arched springs and smaller shackles...you'll probably have contact.

There is a reason you didn't find one answer: it depends on your suspension. The less up travel, the more the tire stuffs upwards instead of rearwards (flatter spring/taller shackle), the bigger tire you can fit. Compromise those things and you may have problems.

33x10.5 you can certainly make fit...the 12.5's will be more difficult, but since people have done it you know it can be done. Just design the suspension properly. If all you plan to do is add 1.5" of blocks/spacers and change nothing else...get ready to pull out that sawzall...

Nay

I think your pretty close, the only way you know if your trimmed enough is to flex it all out after getting the lift and tires on. Find out exactly where you need to trim or add the proper bumpstop to limit the up travel like Nay mentioned.

I ran 4.5" and 33's, it works I also have trimmed a lot. I also have 4.75 BS wheels. That extra .75" could make a some difference.

You know Ramsey, My brother is running a old, old (been on 3 different jeeps) 3" skyjacker lift, with a budget boost on top of that. He has trimmed as much as I have and he doesn't rub hardly anywhere (just minorly in the front) with his 33s.

briansjeep.png

what width tire and backspacing kyle, and chuck could you post a pic. i know everything is different thats why i was hoping the pic would help. i would just go with a 33x10.5 but i get tires wholesale and its dunlop i can get for super cheap and they dont have that size tire.

Last edited:
DSCF0009.JPG

DSCF0008.JPG

Unfortunately these are with 6.5" of lift, but My trimming isn't much more than yours.

Like I said, get the lift and tires you want. If you rather run 1250 then do it. Just make sure you get your rig ready before the first trail ride.

Flex it out in as many differnent angles as possisble, the turn the tires back and forth, this is what many forget. It's one thing to hit a rock or something straight on, but what happens when you have to turn your tires when you are all flexed out. You'll get rubbing and cutting if you didn't get it taken care of the first time.

Like you said all XJ's are different, all we can do is just give you advice before you screw it all up. :D

Ramsey said:
what width tire and backspacing kyle, and chuck could you post a pic. i know everything is different thats why i was hoping the pic would help. i would just go with a 33x10.5 but i get tires wholesale and its dunlop i can get for super cheap and they dont have that size tire.

ChuckD said:
I think your pretty close, the only way you know if your trimmed enough is to flex it all out after getting the lift and tires on. Find out exactly where you need to trim or add the proper bumpstop to limit the up travel like Nay mentioned.
pretty close as in to i can almost make the tires fit, or pretty close to having clearance issues. also what tires are you running in those pics, i hope its not 33's because it looks really close in yours

Last edited:
I can stuff a 33x12.5 without rubbing on my '94 4-door with 5" of lift (4" Backspacing). I only lowered the rear bumpstops by 0.5", however I trimmed what looks like about another half inch off the rear fenders than you did. Hard to tell from the pics there, but basically I trimmed as far as you can go without needing to weld further. PM Buck Jackson, he ran 33's on 3.5" of lift with trimming and bushwacker flares for ages, and I don't think he ever had rubbing problems. See how he did it.

PS, love your mud-based paint. Where did you find a fine product like that? :)

I run 33" tires with a 3" lift also. Whee;s fine. I did trim some in the front and rear. BUt not a ton. I just cut enough to put the TJ flares on.

bumper03.sized.jpg

4.5" lift 33x12.50R 15 MTR's 15x8 4.5"bs...

it can be done....

Get the Dunlops in 285/75/16, which is 33.1x11.3. Perfect XJ size that will stuff about like a 32x11.5.

Nay

Ramsey said:
ok, how about a 33x10.50, still want more opinions though. i can always take more out of the front but thats about it for the back.

Looks to me like you could take about another inch out of the back the whole way around. 4.5" and hearty trimming in the back should work out fine. in the front with 4" BS and wrangler flare amounts of trimming, the firtst thing you should rub on is the shock tower.

My brother is running 3.75" bs 15x8s with a 33x12.50, hefty trimming. As you can see he doesn't do too bad. He is also running a 1" block in the rear along with the budget boost shackle and the skyjacker add a leaf. No problems for him, and he loves it, and it rides pretty nice as well.---Kyle

Just for comparison sake-----I am running RE 5.5" which has settled down to about the exact height and I run 35x12.50s, on 3.75" bs 15x8
flexing.jpg

Last edited:
Back