• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need opinion on how important the windshield is

Fore Wheeler

MWC President
NAXJA Member
I may not have time to get my windshield cut/intalled prior to NAC Fest, what's your opinion on running w/o one?

I don't think it's too big of a deal, it would be nice. BTW, I'm trailering to the trail head.

You'll have a mad case of DW, but unless you don't drive it on the street I wouldn't worry about the legality of it. Just don't get to close behind somebody on a muddy trail.

Actually I was thinking one of these....

viking-horns.gif

The windshield actually adds structural strength. If you roll over without a cage, it's very desirable to have a windshield to strengthen the roof. This also means the windshield has to installed with the proper adhesive; otherwise, it just pops out.

with the structual stability already been said I'll mention that on the trail when we were all lined up because someone was having difficulty with an obstical or a play area while I was casualy sitting in my Jeep out of no where a rock put a small craxk in my windshield.

Not knowing where it could have come from and what not who knows where it would have gone...
If you were to go with out a glass windshield you may want to consider going to HomeDepot or lowes and getting a sheet of Plexi-glass and cut it to aprox. sixe, drill holes in it, and attach zip ties to A-pillars to keep it in place. But as Plexi-glass can be expensive, the pilot goggles may be the cheaper route.

"But then again, do whatever you want, it's what you are gonna do anyway..."

Last edited:
PaulJ said:
The windshield actually adds structural strength. If you roll over without a cage, it's very desirable to have a windshield to strengthen the roof. This also means the windshield has to installed with the proper adhesive; otherwise, it just pops out.

have you seen this guys cage? the thing is freakin awesome and sturdy. four wheeler i dont think your gona need the windsheild for this trip. just bring some goggles.

PaulJ said:

and did you also notice he has no roof? :laugh2:

I :dunno: but I like that :viking: helmet ...just add a pair of 'red baron' biker goggles and you'd be a hit.

Motorcyclists go without windshields on the street all the time (required to wear DOT approved eye protection) so that would be a basis for challenging your 'Improper Equipment' citations.

With as much rain as we get here in the SE, I like my roof & windshield...but each to their own I suppose.

If you can't get a piece of plexi before the event, I wouldn't worry about it. It it's raining, you really, really aren't going to be happy. Bring a tarp, every time I've wheeled on the east coast it has rained.

Very cool, do a whole, "Every Which Way But Loose" thing.

"Black Widow bikes are gettin to be a scarcity"

windshield is being cut and installed as I type. I went with a laminated safty plexi, the guy said that it's as durable as glass and won't scratch, I asked him if I have mud on the windshield and put my wipers on w/o liquid would it scratch, he said no. so with that in mind, if it does I'll be bringing it back to him for a new piece of something different.

I was thinking of getting some NACAR type tear offs cuz I won't have wipers this trip, now that would be cool.

cost for the 'glass' and install was only $150. Not too bad.

Fore Wheeler said:
windshield is being cut and installed as I type. I went with a laminated safty plexi, the guy said that it's as durable as glass and won't scratch, I asked him if I have mud on the windshield and put my wipers on w/o liquid would it scratch, he said no. so with that in mind, if it does I'll be bringing it back to him for a new piece of something different.

I was thinking of getting some NACAR type tear offs cuz I won't have wipers this trip, now that would be cool.

cost for the 'glass' and install was only $150. Not too bad.
So if we see big clear pieces of tear off on the trail, we know who it was... :eyes: LOL!

I was never worried about the leagalness (new word) or the structure of the windshield, just the safty/convienence of having one vs. not. Now I have one and I'm good.

the goggles would still make for a nice fashon statement.

Back