• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

reverse vs standard cut gears

chadc

NAXJA Forum User
finally tore up the d30. I'm doing a 44 now. Wouldn't a standard cut front axle be a better idea then a reverse. My thoughts are the front axle gets most of it's load in reverse, thats when a standard cut front would have the most strength. Unless maybe on a stair step but even then the front is usually unsprung weight. With a high pinion you would gain ground clearance a better pinion angle and maybe longer gear life if you don't have manual hubs. The pinion angle could be fixed with a grinder hammer and welder. What do you think? Chadc

A reverse cut is stronger in front applications. And as you mentioned you get better pinion angles and driveshaft clearence.

And you'd give that up for the very small percentage of time you're actually in reverse on the trail? Maybe I'm not understanding your question.

chadc said:
finally tore up the d30. I'm doing a 44 now. Wouldn't a standard cut front axle be a better idea then a reverse. My thoughts are the front axle gets most of it's load in reverse, thats when a standard cut front would have the most strength. Unless maybe on a stair step but even then the front is usually unsprung weight. With a high pinion you would gain ground clearance a better pinion angle and maybe longer gear life if you don't have manual hubs. The pinion angle could be fixed with a grinder hammer and welder. What do you think? Chadc

It makes no difference in reverse.......the r & p is still stronger than the axle joints. Hopefully, as you learned to wheel, you learned not to gas it in reverse and not to pull someone hard backwards......which highly increases the likelyhood of a snapped axle joint. If you can get a HP, the advantage is the better clearance and driveline angle. It would be very difficult to blow a front d44 r & p, whether it's standard or reverse cut.

Ditto.

CRASH

Goatman said:
It makes no difference in reverse.......the r & p is still stronger than the axle joints. Hopefully, as you learned to wheel, you learned not to gas it in reverse and not to pull someone hard backwards......which highly increases the likelyhood of a snapped axle joint. If you can get a HP, the advantage is the better clearance and driveline angle. It would be very difficult to blow a front d44 r & p, whether it's standard or reverse cut.

I got a low pinion 44 and with the knuckles cut and turned the pinion is pretty high, but it would still be nice to have it a little higher because the other day on Fordyce trail I did just barely rub my front shaft. Just get whatever you find a better deal on, but be willing to pay a little extra for a HP. 80+ Waggy D44s (LP) are perfect width for an XJ, Ford HP axles are several inches wider, but if you're cutting and turning knuckles it's only an extra couple minutes of work to shorten it and run Waggy shafts.

I had been running a d30/d44 hybrid I built. It had worked exellent for years untill I added 35x15.5 mickeys. The 4.56s didn't like that much. The waggy 44's are a dime a dozen. I was just curios if people though it was worth digging up a hp 44. Thanks everyone

Back