• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripping doors

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I have a couple doors I need to strip the guts out of: both front (4dr) with power windows & locks, as well as the coveted vent windows.

Door 'A' I already swiped the window motor & installed in my DD a couple days ago. The drop-glass in that one is in a zillion pieces but I'd like to harvest the lock motor, vent window/trim, and I need the door handle/hardware for my trail rig.

Door 'B' has everything intact, but the upper frame by the B pillar is bent up pretty good...lost a fight with a tree :D

Looking in from the interior side, I see a 13mm(?) nut that probably holds the exterior handle in there. Once that is off, (and the linkage unhooked) the handle just comes off?

How to get the vent windows out???

(sorry, my FSM is on my -still dead- other computer) TIA!

the moveable vent window has a screw at the top hinge and should come out , the one i took off has a nut and spring inside the door, i can't remember what size nut but was not hard to get off. by the way i still have a pass side movable vent glass if anybody needs it,

The window will have a screw or bolt (don't recall) at the top, but the side that has the window channel in it goes into the door about 10 inches or so. There is another bolt inside the door that holds the bottom of that "channel" in place.

Once both bolts/screws are out, you should be able to tip the window backwards and pull it out.

Cottontail said:
The window will have a screw or bolt (don't recall) at the top, but the side that has the window channel in it goes into the door about 10 inches or so. There is another bolt inside the door that holds the bottom of that "channel" in place.

Once both bolts/screws are out, you should be able to tip the window backwards and pull it out.

Two small sheet metal screws at the top, probably torx heads. Also, lower the window, and remove the trim/weatherstrip from the door, and it should be pretty easy. With the weatherstrip in there isn't enough clearance to get the tab on the bottom of the channel out.

The door handles are held in by two studs with nuts. The one at the button end is accessed through a rubber plug in the side of the door frame. It's really easy to shear these off if they're rusty. If that happens, you can grind them flat and drill them out and retap them to 1/4 inch, then just use a short 1/4 inch bolt. The plastic handles have a brass insert that's easy to tap. Just be careful when drilling to go slowly. If the bit heats up too much the insert will melt the plastic and come loose.

Back