• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cove lose?

Bronco

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking around under my hood the other day and I noticed one of the bolts holding the VC was way lose, like I could have just pulled it out. So I looked some more and it turns out every single one of them was very lose. :scared:

So my obvious question is Why?:dunno:

Here are the things that may be factors::rtm:

I have oil blow by in my air filter. I’ve tried all the easy stuff but I haven’t done the pull the cover and clean out the gunk so that may be a thing. But I can’t see to much pressure under the cove making the bolts come lose.

I have drive line vibes. That’s a hole other deal for another thread. Could the shaking have rattled them lose. Doesn’t seam likely but…

Has anyone experienced this? Anyone have any theories. What should I do?:variety: :confused: :looney: :eek: :bunny: :exclamati :gag: :speepin: :rolleyes: :bawl: :wave1:

Thanks for the help

PS I’ve never used these smileys much, fun times.

I had the same thing. All my VC bolts were very loose and my passenger side motor mount bolt had backed out and the nut was gone. When you find out why let me know.

Kevin

I think this is chronic. I don't know why either, but mine have always loosened up on both the XJ's I've had. I just get into the habit of checking them every time I do an oil change. For some reason, of course, it's always the ones at the back that are hardest to reach that are the loosest. I also nearly lost the rear bolts to the oil pan on my 95.

The gasket on the VC compresses with time, leaving the bolts more free to viberate loose. That is why I always put a touch of gasket sealer on the threads when I install a VC. Tightening a VC is ideally a two step process. You don't want to crush the gasket so lightly tighten it all the way around. Come back after having driven a few hundred miles and give them a twist to retighten them a bit. Otherwise, you will be almost guaranteed that you will end up with a leak. On the 4.0L, it always seems to be at the back of the VC and runs down and looks like a rear main seal leak.

old_man said:
The gasket on the VC compresses with time, leaving the bolts more free to viberate loose. That is why I always put a touch of gasket sealer on the threads when I install a VC. Tightening a VC is ideally a two step process. You don't want to crush the gasket so lightly tighten it all the way around. Come back after having driven a few hundred miles and give them a twist to retighten them a bit. Otherwise, you will be almost guaranteed that you will end up with a leak. On the 4.0L, it always seems to be at the back of the VC and runs down and looks like a rear main seal leak.
Thanks for all the input guys. That makes sense I guess. Would using a paper gasket help or lock tight. Do you just use RTV or What?

if you're getting oil in the air cleaner the grommet for the pcv hose is probably clogged, therefore pressurised oil is blowing through the breather hose anto tha air cleaner. soon it will contaminate the throttle body and affect idle quality. you can pick up the pcv grommet and a new hose togethr foe about $15 to$20 at a dealer

Back