• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedo gear for stock 3.07

2jeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
I have posted at numerous forums and I am looking for as much information as possible. I have a 88 cherokee, 32.5" tires, stock 3.07 gearing, a np231 t-case and it's a 5 speed manual. I have read that I need a 27 tooth gear. Problem is, dealerships don't seem to have them. Am I wrong on the tooth count? What are my options?

As stated on another forum (or was it in here somewhere)- you need to regear. 3.07s and 32" tires are going to be doggish. I'd say at least 4.10s would be recommended in your case

My spreadsheet says that you are in the right neighborhood. My spreadsheet actually says the the correct gear is 26.3 (which, of course, doesn't exist), so 26 or 27 would be about right. Sorry, I don't know where to get the new gears, if the dealer says it is discontinued - you might want to check with another dealer, who may have the discontinued gear in stock or may be willing to search warehouses around the country. I have heard the Randy's Ring and Pinion may have those gears available, but I'm not sure if this is correct.

http://www.ring-pinion.com/

Incidently, according to GoJeep's page, you need something between 26 and 25 teeth:

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm

EDIT

As far as regearing, you didn't ask for advise so I hesitate to say anything. But, I found 31's with my 3.07 gearing to be terrible, so the first chance I had I did regear - not only did it improve the drivablility of the XJ, but it improved the mileage I get.

2jeepowner said:
I have posted at numerous forums and I am looking for as much information as possible. I have a 88 cherokee, 32.5" tires, stock 3.07 gearing, a np231 t-case and it's a 5 speed manual. I have read that I need a 27 tooth gear. Problem is, dealerships don't seem to have them. Am I wrong on the tooth count? What are my options?

Try my dealer. Send an e-mail to <[email protected]>. Put "ATTN: Todd" in the subject line. Ask him the question. If it exists, he can get it for you.

2jeepowner said:

me too...I gave up...I read somewhere a while ago that Teraflex made it, but not according to them. I guess they figure with that combination you should re-gear anyways (not a bad assumption really). Just keep in mind that your speedo is going to be about 12% off, so if it says 55 in reality it would be a little over 60.

Back