• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distance of CPS from flywheel

norton

NAXJA Forum User
I am doing a transmission swap behind my 4.0L, and I have had to mount the CPS on the CJ bellhousing I am using to bolt the tranny to (an NP435).

The engine cranks but will not start. I understand that without the CPS input, the engine will not run.

Does anyone know how far from the friction plate edge I need to mount the CPS? The mount I have made is adjustable.

Thanks,
- Eliot -

From the friction plate edge? Hmmm ...

What are you using for a flywheel? The CPS doesn't register from the friction surface, it registers from a notched, or slotted, ring around the perimeter. The clearance is a few thousandths -- I believe the new CPS sensors come with a piece of paper on the end -- you install it with the paper in contact, and then when you start the engine the paper goes away leaving the correct clearance.

By edge, I mean the toothed notches.

Since there is some sort of paper attached, it sounds like the distance is on the order of 1/32" or less.

- Eliot -

Hey, I guess I will answer my own question.

I found the part number here: http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34653

The part number for the paper spacer for the CPS sensor is: 5252229

I paid $3.36 for 1 of them (yes, just 1 !!!!) today at the stealership. Since I think it is ridiculous to pay more than $0.10 for it, it is 0.045 inches in thinkness for those of you wishing to make your own.

I hope this knowledge helps someone else out.

- Eliot -

The engine runs!!!

So with about $0.50 worth of 18 gauge stainless steel, 2 rivets, and a couple of bolts, I was able to mount the CPS on a CJ bellhousing so that I can run a Ford NP435 behind my 4.0L.

Forget paying $300 for a CPS relocation kit, just spend a couple of hours with a cutoff wheel and a drill. I think I'll put a writeup in the Mod Tech section.

- Eliot -

Back