• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.6L stroker - tf 727 - np 229

Junior

NAXJA Forum User
doesn't seem to be any info on this on these boards so I'll toss it in since I am doing it now.

4.6 is relativly straightforward, 258 crank and rods in a 4.0L, silv-o-lite pistons to keep the CR down so she'll run on donkey piss for fuel.

tranny choice was a tf727 from a 1980 wagoneer, tf-2 transgo shift kit

transfer case choice was the NP-229 bolted to the 727, for simplicity of the swap aswell as for the full time option that it offers, for the towing and winter duties I intend to put this truck thru I felt that was the best choice.

Front axle will be a lincoln locked posi-lock D30, the rear will be either a spooled or a LS D44

first problem I have run into is the crankshaft position sensor on the flywheel, solution at this point is to either relocate the mounting bolts on the torque converter, or to drill out the flexplate to take the converter bolts, but that involes relocating the mounting holes overtop of a lip in the flexplate which is something I really am not fond on doing, the flexplate is coming off of a 4.0L - AW4 of the same year as the vehicle it's going into and donor of the 4.0L for the stroker, a 1988 comanche laredo.

I will inform you guys of anything else that comes up later on, I've seen lots of people planning on putting a 727 in an XJ but haven't found anyone who has done it yet, looks like I"m the guinee pig!

if anyone has any information on twinsticking a NP229 (one stick for 2, 4, n, 4lo and the second stick for posi - locked) I would be glad to hear it.

I"m hoping to get a full ratchet shift in it at some point.

the vehicle beiong modded was a 1988 MJ, 4.0L-Ba-10 pegeot 5-speed- NP-231- D30-D44, spring over rear BB front

I am doing a 4.0 with 904 in a 89 MJ (converted to 91 specs) If you hunt up a 91+ wrangler with a 904 (999?)
trans it has the sensor hole for the HO computer and flywheel setup. and uses a 231 Xfer case.
Another way is to use the crank sensor bracket from Mopar performance to mount the sensor on the vibration dampner at the front of the engine. (I have one of those brackets that I am not using, if you decide to go that way)
The 904 can be built up to handle any 4.0 stroker horsepower - lots of parts and info on that trans.
Or you can use a MSD distributor and control unit with the Renix controller.

NO tech to offer but you will happy with the 727. From a 3 speed auto it does NOT get any better than that. One suggestion that I might make is getting a "bolt in sprag". Any 727 tranny guy will know what this is for. It is the weak link but I do not recall the purpose. :read:

Link to TCI Chrysler/AMC 727 page

Travis

Junior said:
doesn't seem to be any info on this on these boards so I'll toss it in since I am doing it now.

4.6 is relativly straightforward, 258 crank and rods in a 4.0L, silv-o-lite pistons to keep the CR down so she'll run on donkey piss for fuel.

transfer case choice was the NP-229 bolted to the 727, for simplicity of the swap aswell as for the full time option that it offers, for the towing and winter duties I intend to put this truck thru I felt that was the best choice.

Front axle will be a lincoln locked posi-lock D30, the rear will be either a spooled or a LS D44

first problem I have run into is the crankshaft position sensor on the flywheel, solution at this point is to either relocate the mounting bolts on the torque converter, or to drill out the flexplate to take the converter bolts, but that involes relocating the mounting holes overtop of a lip in the flexplate which is something I really am not fond on doing, the flexplate is coming off of a 4.0L - AW4 of the same year as the vehicle it's going into and donor of the 4.0L for the stroker, a 1988 comanche laredo.

Just FYI do a search and the stroker talk has been beat to death here. As for the CPS that is easy. Relocation kit! Moves it to the harmonic balancer!

with a linchon locked front and a spooled rear I dont think you will want to tow in the snow at all...its scary enough with a rear locker with out a trailer on ice.

Having built a stoker, you will love it. Now for the tranny. Like the man said, why not an AW-4? You can buy a used tranny for way less than the relocation kit will cost you and then you have an easy to get parts machine.

old_man said:
Having built a stoker, you will love it. Now for the tranny. Like the man said, why not an AW-4?

...and if you want a manual tranny, the AX15 is strong enough to handle 350lbft of Corvette LS1 power so it can certainly handle a stroker.

something about a big 3 speed with a shift kit in it, I've seen them run in funny cars and they hold to that.

and hp wise.... I'm not done with just the stroker..... there is a supercharger kit in the works for it.

beyond that, i'm thinking I am getting alittle more traction that that 'vette is dino. 37's on all 4 wheels and all :D

my policy as yet has been "overbuild it and don't have to go back to it later"

rsalemi said:
I am doing a 4.0 with 904 in a 89 MJ (converted to 91 specs) If you hunt up a 91+ wrangler with a 904 (999?)
trans it has the sensor hole for the HO computer and flywheel setup. and uses a 231 Xfer case.
Another way is to use the crank sensor bracket from Mopar performance to mount the sensor on the vibration dampner at the front of the engine. (I have one of those brackets that I am not using, if you decide to go that way)
The 904 can be built up to handle any 4.0 stroker horsepower - lots of parts and info on that trans.
Or you can use a MSD distributor and control unit with the Renix controller.

please elaborate on this relocation kit, it sounds ideal for what I am using it for, but where is the CPS picking up it's pulses from? I am about to go hack up a flexplate trying to make stuff fit but this seems like BY FAR the easiest solution.

any help you can offer me would be fantastic as this is the first and so far only catch in the plan, I think I will bolt her all together for a "test fit" tommorow and see how things go there. I will also try to get some digi pics of what I am doing.

Go to www.hescosc.com click "catalog", click "specialty components".
I highly recommend Hesco...professional and they deliver what they promise.. Excellent tech support too :greensmok . My recommendation is based on personal experiences...they are not the cheapest folks around, but you will get what you pay for.

BTW... the TF727 is a good choice for a non-lockup tranny...the only other heavy duty auto tranny besides the AW4 that will bolt up is a GM TH400 which was used in some Waggy applications...the 904 is an option also, but I would be afraid to use it behind a stroker on a trail rig unless it was highly modified to handle the torque...the rear planetary set is kinda puny.

Junior said:

the vehicle beiong modded was a 1988 MJ, 4.0L-Ba-10 pegeot 5-speed- NP-231- D30-D44, spring over rear BB front

It sounds like the flexplate is from an 88 258/4.0L, and the 727 is from a 80 ???

The intent to have a Renix Stroker with the 727?

The conflict is likely that the 727 is from a V8, and the TQ is not the correct bolt circle diameter for the AMC I6. The solution is a TQ from a 87-90 YJ Wrangler (possibly up to 95 Wrangler) with the 904/999 transmission. An aftermarket TQ with the correct bolt pattern is probably a good solution and opens an improvement in stall speed. Remember to add a large trans cooler as the 727 will need the help to stay alive.

Make sure the flex plate tone ring (for the CPS) is correct for the injection system (Renix or OBDI/OBD2).

The Waggy 727 is the same case as the 904/999 with a higher first gear. They need the high torque sprag and the normal clutch plate material improvements to stay alive, and the 904/999 lower first gear simply trades low speed torque for a shorter potential life (potential, because 999 have been built to live behind 440's). There are replacement planetary sets that can withstand more torque in a number of ratios (so if you are having the trans built ask to get the best combination).

The other advantage of the 91/95 YJ 904/999 trans, besides the lower first gear, is the case is machined for the CPS. The 727 can be machined for the CPS (drilled out and dressed up with a file), or the HESCO Performance CPS relocation kit can be used to move the CPS to the balancer. The Renix CPS relocation kit from HESCO is the only one I know of, as the Mopar Kit is for the OBD1/OBD2 systems (and not compatible with Renix). You have to ask for the correct kit (Renix or later MPI).

If you plan running 37's (anything with traction, actually, behind a high torque stroker) start looking for larger axles to prevent the undeniable snapping sound of splined toothpicks.

"overbuild it and don't have to go back to it later" applies to the axles more than the engine/trans combination.

The Mopar Performance Fuel injection conversion kit uses the relocation bracket and modified dampner to put the CPS on the front of the engine, instead of on the bellhousing. It is for the 91 - 95 HO style pickup - don't know if they offer it for the Renix style CPS?

Is the 904 a lock up TQ?

I think he may simply need the 258 TQ from a Waggy to make the combinatin bolt up?

Just trying to eliminate the lockup TQ from the package (unless he uses the correct matching case).

Junior said:

and hp wise.... I'm not done with just the stroker..... there is a supercharger kit in the works for it.

37's on all 4 wheels and all :D

my policy as yet has been "overbuild it and don't have to go back to it later"

I have to strongly agree with Ed, your philosophy of "overbuild it" is a good one, but the axles will go way before the tranny does. 37's will make mince meat out of that D30, especially lincoln locked (bad idea under any circumstances), and the stroker will make it worse. The D44 is also marginal for 37's, especially with the stroker. If you're going to play in the mud, you have a better chance, but if there's rocks also.........carry plenty of spares.

Definitely "underbuilt" in the axle category.

we're all mud up here, after thinking about it last night I think I'm gonna have to give hesco a call.

the tf904 has a smaller diameter input shaft than the 727, making the converters not interchangeable (thought of that already)

I have everything arranged to have my flexplate machined and then it should be pretty straightforward.

I agree with you guys that my axles are underdone, I have faith in that D44, but that D30 is gonna go, I have a line on a hp D44 from a 78 bronco, and it's gonna get dropped in, probably with the tire swap.

Back