• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CSF Raditors from DPG?

I am looking at buying a new raditor. I have been looking at the modine the CSF and the GDI
what are the opions out there for each?
I like the cheapness of the GDI but have heard bad stories/reveiws.
I have not heard any opinons on the CSF
I have only heard good things about the Modine, but at 200$ it is 50$ more than the CSF. is it really worth the extra$$$ or is the CSF good too?

please help!!! thanks
nate

I got my 2 core CSF from Dirk before he found out they had 3 core radiators for XJ's. It kicks butt. I can sit in hot traffic with the AC on now without over heating.

SEARCH :)

$150 for 3 core CSF is the best buy.

I bought a three row two years ago and it died last week. I just replaced it with the two row Modine and it runs cooler. I live near Phoenix and I drove home this afternoon in the 108 degree heat and my temp. never climbed above 185 degrees! It was running a 210 degrees with the three row. The two row Modine gets my vote, it's worth the money.

Dave

New two core Modine on Ebay $126 shipped. That was his 'Buy It Now' price. aaaradiator is his username. I know a few folks that have bought from him with no problems.

Ron

I just installed a 2 row Modine along with new fan clutch, hoses, and tstat. I wanted a rad fast to get the XJ ready for a Memorial day camping trip, the NAPA close to me had one in stock. It is much wider (thicker) than the old leaky rad I replaced, went in next to the factory Modine AC condenser without any trouble, and performed perfectly well on the trip wich included 80mph freeway cruizing and a good mountain pass in Idaho. Thats with 31's, stock 3.55 gears, and electric fan not working.
I am very pleased with the Modine so far :thumbup:

Last edited:
Well, I think I need to look at Modines.

I keep getting close to overheating, even at highway speeds, and the AZ heat can be killer.

What kinda price did you get on your Modine from Napa?

Fergie

PS- rad has been flushed/burped, water wetter used, everything checked, so the rad swap is the last straw.

hey fergie check with a guy from alumarad in kingman if memory serves correct I picked up a one row alum with 1 3/8" tubes(stock one row is only 1" tubes and modine uses tow 5/8" tubes) and it does the job very nicely around here in phx which btw it wasnt 108* it was 110*(not that 2* matters ) it cruises on the freeway at 80mph at 210 or just a hair above....
let me know if ya need more info... :paperwork

themud said:
hey fergie check with a guy from alumarad in kingman if memory serves correct I picked up a one row alum with 1 3/8" tubes(stock one row is only 1" tubes and modine uses tow 5/8" tubes) and it does the job very nicely around here in phx which btw it wasnt 108* it was 110*(not that 2* matters ) it cruises on the freeway at 80mph at 210 or just a hair above....
let me know if ya need more info... :paperwork
More info would be great. from the searching I have done, the alumarads are a bit more expensive than I have budgeted, but maybe you know something, or someone, that I don't.

Go ahead and PM or email if you would, and thanks for the help.

Fergie

93GRNXJ said:
I am looking at buying a new raditor. I have been looking at the modine the CSF and the GDI
what are the opions out there for each?
I like the cheapness of the GDI but have heard bad stories/reveiws.
I have not heard any opinons on the CSF
I have only heard good things about the Modine, but at 200$ it is 50$ more than the CSF. is it really worth the extra$$$ or is the CSF good too?

please help!!! thanks
nate
I have a GDI from www.radiators.com . It was $109 with one year warranty and is all metal and has served me well. The lifetime warr. is $129. HTH

It always amazes me about claimed operating temperatures with different radiators.
Last I checked, a thermostat controls my engine temp. No matter how much more cooling my radiator offers, it's not going to drop the temp. below the thermostat's settings when I'm running under load. I do notice the auxilary fan doesn't have to come on at all any more with a 3-core CSF.

I don't have the phone #, but radiator.com got me a 3 core radiator for $130. It was on my door step 2 hours later (no extra charge), slam dunked right in, and I said bye to my frequent overheating problems.

My 3 row GDI ran in the 225 range whenever it was hot out or I was on a steep grade, my 2 row Modine holds a consistent 195 except in rare instances. Much better radiator in my opinion. Mine was $179 at Napa, lifetime warranty. Don't be duped by the number of rows.... 3 skinny little rows won't necesarily cool better than two wide rows. JP

The cooling system is not the place to save money. Get the best radiator you can afford. And stay away from aluminum unless you can tig weld a patch when you spring a leak on the trail.

Fergie said:
Umm, yeah....that isnt what his post says.

I read the posts...thanks anyway though.

Fergie

All I meant to say was the figure he posted is the same as what I paid at NAPA for my radiator. Sorry for not being clear.

volkswagen alum. radiator:

vwrad1.jpg

vwrad2.jpg

vwrad3.jpg

yes, that is the stock temp switch from a closed cooling system XJ and it screws right into the VW rad without modification!
vwrad4.jpg

CheapXJ said:
volkswagen alum. radiator:

I understanding being cheap and finding alternatives to stock parts. But please use a better battery hold down, they are not expensive!!!!

[
vwrad3.jpg

yes, that is the stock temp switch from a closed cooling system XJ and it screws right into the VW rad without modification!

Back