• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" BS too much?

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
Lookin at picking up 4 avalanche (think thats right) or trailready beadlocks from a friend that are 15X8 with 3BS is this too much. I plan on running 33-35 inch tires and trimming the bottom halves of the wheel well leaving the top half of the stock flair. My xj is a 99. Also im getting these for 140 a piece im thinking thats a pretty smoking deal right? thankx to anyone who helps out.

3" backspace is probably LESS than you'll want, not more. You didn't mention any lift. Only a radical fenderectomy would let you fit 35s without a lift of SOME height. Those wheels will push your tires out roughly 2.25" on each side - enough that they'd try to occupy the same space your fenders now fill.
My 33x10.50s on 15x8 wheels with 4.5 inch backspace stuff up quite nicely under my 4.5" lift, with some judicious trimming - just for comparison's sake.

You mean too little?:D How much lift are you running? I wish I could have found a deal like that for beadlocks and 3" BS. I run 3.25" BS with my 37's. I like the wide stance. Gives a little more stability. I'd say trim and go for it...I would.

backing up a step . . .
First I'd recommend you study up a little on what it's like to live with beadlocks, and consider whether you really need them for the type of wheeling you (plan to) do.

As far as lift Im still lookin. Basically looking at 8" springs or a slight shorter spring with some spacers. Sorry got the too much too little backwards. Never had beadlocks what is so bad about driving with them. I just figured that they wont cost a whole lot more than the other rims i was goin get so might as well.

I will be running the LA kit from centerlinemotorsports.com I put a thread on awhile ago about them and since have went out to the owners home and spent a couple hours BSing with him. I will be posting new info when the kit is installed.

I run 3" back spacing on mine with 5"s of lift and 36" TSLs. I have cut alot from my fenders but it all works great. I went with the 3" BS wheel to keep the tires from making ALOT of contact with the inner wheel well at full stuff.

Dont forget that bearing leverage is a lot more at 3" too. This is a big problem with stock axles and not good for any others unless full floating ones!
Here beadlocks are illegal on the road. Aren't they there too?

Gojeep said:
Here beadlocks are illegal on the road. Aren't they there too?
Technically, yes . . . but, it doesn't seem to be a priority of the local constabulary - unless you've done something to tick them off. Also, I'm not sure that most local police are aware that they aren't legal, since it's a federal regulation because beadlocks are not DOT (US Department of Transportation) approved, so they don't have federal approval for use on highway. There have been some rumors that a wheel manufacturer is in the process of getting DOT approval, but I haven't heard anything solid lately.

You could probobly use 3" to 3.5 " backspacing. Thats not much backspacing, but it will be fine I'm sure. I have a ZJ on 33's and I have 4" backspacing. I wish I had gotten 3.75" or 3.5" so it would stick out more.

Run them......There are many people running 3 1/4 backspacing wheels and they have no problems with ball joints or hubs on dana 30's. Realistically 1/4 of an inch is not going to be the difference between night and day. The extra width will help a little with stability too, not much but take all you can get.

Heres the real question though......everyone is quick to put down lots of backspacing on a daily driver, saying you will go through lots of hubs and or ball joints, but has anyone actually done it to prove this or is it all speculation??

Back