• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why would....

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
an AW4 heat up excessively when the engins is not. I think that may be the cause of my problems for these week. It do not appear to be related to the TCM or anything electrtical. With everything except the neutral start wires disconnected, the AW4 still get very hot even if it is idling in park in the driveway. Yes, the in-radiator cooler is good and I have added a B&M cooler from an Explorer which did little.
I know there are plenty of transmission gurus on this forum. Give me your none binding opinion.
The mechanic could not get the codes from the TCU. Of course he was using a generic scan tool.

:( :dunno:

I would actually like an answer as well. When out doing what an XJ is made for, my Aw4 got smoking hot. I barely made it home. After some Lucas tranny fix and some new fluid, I went out again. The tranny got hot again (bronzed fluid came out steaming)and I repeated the above except i added a 9" by 6" cooler in front of the rad where the condenser used to be.

My trans is on its third life now. I guess I should change the filter soon. Id really like an AX 15.

I've been using Dexron III because I get it at work for "cheaper". I have some trickshift for the next flush.

Perhaps the torque converter is not locking up?

Check for pinched tranny cooler lines. Look on the passenger side next to the oil pan. This is the most common place they get pinched, usually by an upper control arm traveling up too far.

After you check for a pinched line, try unhooking the lines at the tranny and blowing some air through the lines. A little messy. but after a good blow with compressed air, try blowing with your own lungs, you can feel if it´s restricted. Have blown through the tranny cooler and had a coupler of grams of metal and junk come out the other end, just enough to cause a partial or full blockage.
Tranny typically runs 200-240, in the pan. When I suspect an overheated part, I rough up the area (with a 3 M pad) and hold an electric thermometer on the case (fairly hard), takes a few minutes, but the case will eventually reach the temp. of the contents.

No, it is not the torque converter. It locks up and hold the engine RPM down when in 3rd gear to 2,000 RPM untilthe MPH catches up. It will spin both tires on hard pavement when in 1st. In 4th and overdrive on the highway, the RPM verses MPH is as good as I can remember; as a matter of fact, at 2200 RPM +/- the speedo reads 70 MPH.
There is no visual crimp or restriction in the cooler lines, at least not on the outside. Having said that, I remember trying to blow through the return was very difficult but I attribute that to maybe a valve in the tranny itself. :dunno: I will take a look at that again. That leaves only the valve body and the shift solonoids. What should they read on an VOA meter? Is there any other sensor in the AW4?
Thanks everyone. I have something to beat the boredom this Sunday. Having fun in an unknown teritory. :repair: The engine I could handle bilnd folded but the AW4?....

Have you dropped the tranny pan and inspected the filter? Could be gummed up...Your problem still sounds like your lines are clogged somewhere.

Yea, I checked the filter and it is good. The return line may be the problem. I know the line from the tranny to the cooler is OK. I verified that. However, the return line was a bit difficult to blow through or should I say I could not blow through it. I simply thought my mouth was not (big) strong enough. I will check it this weekend.
Thanks.

Back